Are all scoobies noisy when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2002, 10:51 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

After reading all the posts on piston slap I've been paying more attention to the engine noises than usual.

MY97 definitey is noisier when cold almost diesel like. I've listened to that recording of slap on the web page linked on other threads and although similar its a slightly different tone of knocking.

Could it be anything else apart from the dreaded slap? i imagine all the valvegear is noiser until oil gets to temp and the correct viscosity for the hydraulic tappits. Are all scoobies like this or should i see a dealer?

PS my old legacy was noisy also but the valvegear was well worn with 213K on the clock

cheers

Rich
Old 25 January 2002, 01:36 AM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

There is another cause which sounds similar to slap,its when the timing belt is worn or needs tensioned.This has the same characteristics as slap and also disappears when warmed up.

I have just had my slap sorted on my scoob,now the only diff in sound on start up is the higher revs at tick over.

Steve
Old 25 January 2002, 02:01 AM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

I think they all have a slight knocking noise when cold i know mine does and my old mans forester but they don't have piston slap. Piston slap is very distinctive and you can hear it in that clip that someone uploaded.
Old 25 January 2002, 05:39 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

If I were a betting man I'd definately say it was piston slap!
I had a 98 turbo which used to make that noise when cold in the morning and as you say sounds slightly diesel like, took it to the dealers twice for their opinion and both times the service man said there was nothing wrong with it. Have recently part-X'd it at the same dealers for a newer one (which sounds smooth as silk even from cold) Had occation to go back to the dealers recently and the salesman, not the service man, who sold me the new car told me they had to replace piston 4 on my old 98 because of the slap on it.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
Old 25 January 2002, 10:48 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Dogus,

I would change dealer if poss.

P.
Old 27 January 2002, 01:03 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

I've just had my piston slap fixed under the extended proven warrenty and the car is now really quite on first start up, other than the usual ticking of the valve gear, oh, and the prodrive exhaust. The two Imprezas I had whilst mine was being fixed were so quiet that at times you had to check the tacho to make sure they were running. If it's noisy when cold and quite when hot then it's usually slap, get 'em to sort it, Subaru know all about it and will fix even quite old cars with this problem, if your dealer won't play ball then go straight to the importers.
Old 27 January 2002, 02:25 AM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

I personally don't think you can diagnose that the guys got piston slap from his description. Subarus all make a kinda make a tappety noise when cold see sidc web site. Its a different distinctive noise. Best thing is to take it to someone who knows and let them hear it or alternatively record it and let us all hear.

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2002, 08:28 AM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mine has a loud, distinctive tap whan cold, took it to the dealers, and got they all do that sir!, so when the next service was due i took it to another dealer and explained the noise and also explained that there was a bit of belt noise when cold, i left the car over night, got a phone call in the morning telling me that the problem had been diagnosed as the belt tensioner on the air con unit (they had come across it before) car is now booked back in for the air con people to come up and replace all the bits under warrenty.

regards

Phil G
Old 27 January 2002, 08:02 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the response

i have an extended warranty (from the local dealer) which lasts another 4 months so i'll book it in for a diagnosis. If I get chance i'll try a recording also.

Cheers

Rich