Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wagon owners - quiet decat exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 07:18 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a '00 wagon with WR Sport BB, and I want to decat. Going to get a SS DP, but was wondering about a Magnex centre with resonator to keep the noise down.

The problem is, with the seats folded down the exhaust is quiet boomy already at motorway speeds. I travel quite a lot like this with mountain bikes in the back.

My question is will the Magnex resonator make the exhaust quieter than now, of will it just make it a bit more bearable than a straight pipe?

Cheers
Tim
Old 23 January 2002, 07:31 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can help you get the exact solution you are looking for have a look at my site and email or call me, I'll do all I can to help you out.

I would of thought the Magnex would be the better solution though. Lets chat about it!
Old 23 January 2002, 07:58 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Tim,

I have fitted a SS DP, Magnex centre with resonator and customised Long Life back box after having a Magnex Oval back box. If I was you, I would fit SS DP first and get used to that noise level before proceeding with your other mods. The WR BB is one of the quieter BBs I believe so if you are concerned with the cabin noise already, especially with the back seats down, you're going to need ear muffs for the rest of your intended upgrade!

Mine is just bearable but it does need sound proofing even though I have fitted carpet in the boot. Just dont splash out on a whole new system in one go and find it is way to noisey. Start with the Downpipe and go from there.

Hope this is of use.

Jerome
Old 23 January 2002, 08:51 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Jerome,

Think your idea is sensible - get the DP first, and see about the centre afterwards.

Centre is a lot easier to change so I can get that done locally, but I'll take a trip to Scoobysport for the DP. Plus if the centre is too loud it'll be equally easy to swop back the OEM one.

Cheers
Tim
Old 24 January 2002, 10:43 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

ttt

Old 24 January 2002, 11:00 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tim,

I fitted the Magnex centre with resonator after my STI centre section failed on my 98 STI 5 door. Standard DP, Magnex centre and SS backbox - I actually reckon with the Magnex CP it's a bit quieter than the standard STI centre !. It's much quieter than I expected - SS DP now on the cards.

Kevin.
Old 24 January 2002, 11:06 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Kevin,

Thanks for that, methinks SS DP first and then Magnex with resonator.....

Did you already have the SS BB fitted when you changed CP ? And it made it a bit quieter ?

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 1/24/2002 11:08:25 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2002, 01:19 AM
mancamefirst
Scooby Regular

At the risk of asking a stupid question (I'll risk it!!)
What are the implications of a decat system, is it strictly legal(on cars that should be catted), MOT failure, etc... What do insurance companies think.

Sorry to hilack the thread, but as you seemed settled on what you intended doing, I didn't think you would mind me asking if any of the above was relevant.

Thanks

Old 26 January 2002, 11:51 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Tim,

Yep, had the backbox on the standard STi system. Let me know whta difference the dp makes noisewise - mind you I'm probably going to fit it anyway.

Kevin.
Old 26 January 2002, 02:32 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Mancamefirst,

There was another post about this a short while ago, but as search is down, I'll attempt to summarise my understanding:

A fully de-cat car will not pass the MOT or road side emissions test. With front Cat only it should pass, with centre Cat only it will fail the idle test, but if it does the tester does a 'fast idle' test at 2500rpm, and provided the Cat is hot it may pass this.

So, refitting the OEM centre might get you through the MOT....also I believe that there are some well-known Scooby suppliers of de-cat systems that will loan you a suitable centre to guarantee you pass (for a small fee of course).

As regards the roadside emissions test, there is a £60 FP, BUT plod may also slap a construction and use violation on you, which could be much more nasty. Having been done for emissions (i.e. >10% over the limits), you'll need to get the car MOT'd within 14 days IIRC. I think the FP is reduced also if you've had an MOT pass in the last 6 months.

However, you have the right to refuse the roadside emissions test, in which case you will have 21 days to produce a MOT pass, which must be dated within 14 days of the date you were stopped.

As far as insurance goes, I've not heard of any problems, but as with every mod, you should tell them.

URL/ http://www.roads.dtlr.gov.uk/consult/emissions2001/03.htm /URL

Hope that helps
Tim
Old 26 January 2002, 03:51 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Did`nt realise this thread was running as I have just posted a question about this in General. How common are roadside tests?
JohnD
Old 26 January 2002, 04:15 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Not very, I think one person said they were stopped in the response to the earlier thread...

Cheers
Tim
Old 26 January 2002, 05:09 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have a ride in Richard Askew's wagon, after that anything will seem quieter ,eh Rich