Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox oil change

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 05:43 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Tried the search engine but to no avail ut I'm trying to look for a post - the post in question just gives hints on changing the oil!

I haven't changed it myself yet & hope to do so one of these evenings. Does anyone have a few hints they can throw my way, limited set of spanners etc so size needed would be great, size of bung washer & volume of oil generally in there.

Any hints tips are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Johny.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:56 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Have not done it myself yet, but just did the diff, and is similar I guess. Consensus seems to be to use Castrol Syntrax 75-90W oil (9.49/lt at Halfords) - should hold about 3.5 lt.
Take the car for a run to warm it up (will drain more easily when warm), take the level stick out, washing up bowl underneath the drain, undo (Am not sure of size - for the diff, both plugs are square and approx 13mm across - I used a 1/2" socket extension - worked fine, or if it's the same as the engine oil drain then its a 17mm spanner). Let it drain for a while. Refit the plug (if there is a washer (not sure there is?) I guess you should replace it, but it's probably not critical). Need to fill through the level stick hole, so some hose and/or a funnel is probably useful here.
Take the old oil down the dump!!
Check it (level, and around plug)after a couple of days to make sure you're not leaking!!

[Edited by robs - 1/23/2002 6:59:02 PM]
Old 23 January 2002, 09:52 PM
David1965
Scooby Regular

Do not put oil down drain. it bad for the environment, take it to the local tip.

Old 24 January 2002, 12:13 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm a bit stumped -

I know where the engine drain plug is.

Is the gearbox drain plug directly under the car under the gearbox (might some obvious but??). I checked last night & I think it's a 21 size.

robs - you mentioned you changed the diff - are they the two plugs under the back of the car - read diff?

For some reason I bought some Duckams Gear - Limited Slip Diff Oil. Is this right or am I way of the mark?

The dipstick to the left of the intercooler when facing the engine from the front of the car - this is the gearbox dipstick.

Any info would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Johny.
Old 24 January 2002, 07:37 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Yes. Bottom of the gearbox would be about right!!
Diff at the back with two plugs facing rear. See here:
http://www.geocities.com/scoobyserviceuk/index.html
Subaru recommend GL-5 grade oil. Castrol is only the consensus from several posts I've read on here.
Yes, that's the right dipstick!
Old 24 January 2002, 08:25 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Received yesterday 6 bottles of Redline, shall give you a report on Monday, once I have changed to it on Sunday, and gone for a run.

Dan
Old 24 January 2002, 08:30 PM
mark_wrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

so what oil can i use for the diff as im going to do it the weekend what do u guys use .thanx