Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scooby Sport or HKS Hiper ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 09:04 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was about ready to buy a scooby sport exhaust after hearing lots of good things about them, then, just recently everyone keeps raving on about the HKS Hiper Exhaust, HKS group buys etc.

How do these 2 systems compare?

best quality, sound, performance gain etc.

peccy (MY00 Turbo 2000)
Old 22 January 2002, 09:41 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

In terms of quality and performance increases - IMHO the HKS has it....

Build quality is superb, no botched welds, no marks...... I previously fitted a single dump Magnex DP on the front of a 3in BPM system..... I then fitted a twindump BPM downpipe and the HKS Hiper system (Titanium - tart).... this change in exhaust resulted in a 23bhp increase!!!! As for sound, I take it you have not heard one!

ScoobySport exhausts are also very good, however, the build quality is nowhere near as good as the HKS. The sound from a SS exhaust is adictive, but not loud enough for me. You will see the same performance increases from any other 2.5in exhaust system.

At the end of the day, your personal preferance will dictate which of these two exhausts is for you.

HKS - Fantastic power increases, Amazing build quality, lovley sound (may be a little too loud for some). May look a little too MAX POWER for some people!

ScoobySport - Good power increases, build quality is not fantastic, power increases are good. Understated looks - EVERYONE has them..... baaaaaa

Hope this helps?

Paul
Old 22 January 2002, 10:00 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Paul, I think you are being a touch unfair, as you have not stated how this 23bhp increase worked.

For a start you need have done the runs on the same day, did you?

On top of that the shape of the graph makes a big difference. if you are telling me that the peak was 23bhp higher after than before, but everywhere else in the graph was 15bhp lower, I would rather have a scoobysport exhaust.

The HKS has been used by the more experienced hands on tuners such as Mark Aigin (R19KET), Bob Rawle and Firefox (j) for a few years now. The main difference in its performance stems from it not following the same route provided by the bottom of the car but taking a straighter run. This gives it fewer bends and therefore makes it very unrestrictive. but importantly, it causes it to sit lower making it impractical for some people (speed bumps and steep ramps can cause a problem).

It is also louder, no question but not as nice sounding as the Scoobysport.

The most important thing you forget also is the lifetime guarantee on the scoobysport exhaust, whatever you think of the quality (I am a fan of haywards work) it it ever goes wrong they will replace it for you. HKS may be the sa\me, but since they are based in japan I would imagine it is more difficult.

PS. I have owned both makes myself and would not say I am biased either way, it depends what you are after. For me the ss is too small and the HKS is too big (drainpipish in shape and position). I have a hybrid BPM/scoobymania, but will now be going for the scoobysport 3 inch dowpipe for testing purposes.

Most importantly, dont buy the HKS downpipe, it is crap as it bblocks off the wastegate exit.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:15 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam.

I have not yet compared the two graphs..... and you are correct, the runs were completed on two seperate days (approx 2 months apart - last run being last Sat @ PE).

The car has moved peak power from 6666rpm to 6700rpm, not a great distance. Torque (which I know is more important on the road) has dropped from 247 to 242, again, not a great deal.... this would be due to the increased bore of the BPM downpipe.

Currently, my HKS is about the same volume as my previous ScoobySport, I am expecting this to change once it gets a little more 'coked-up'(only been on the car 5 days or so).

No disrespect to Hayward, thier products are supreb, however, when you compare the quality to a Magnex or a HKS, there will be no comparison needed - IMHO the ScoobySport looks 'messy'. You can't argue with the guarentee though Yes, the HKS does look like a drainpipe - that is the fashion these days Adam!

I agree with your comments on the HKS DP, I rekon the best DP you can currently buy is the BPM Twin Dump. I would be interested on seeing your results with the 3in ScoobySport though.

I too have owned both, personaly I would opt for the HKS, out of all the exhaust combinations I have tired, I have had the best results/feel from the HKS.

Paul
Old 22 January 2002, 10:24 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Paul,

do you have a lambda link? or other a/f ratio sensor? because that is teh only way you would really know if it is flowing better.

Otherwise each one of your opinions is purely subjectve. Quality cannot be contested, it is or isnt better. But you need to be quantitative in order to say one exhaust is better than another.

I cant remember if your car is mappable, but to be fair it takes a competant mapper having a play before and after to know if the exhaust has imporved things, and this is something that I am not.

I can take other peoples word for it, and to be honest so far the people I know who are in the know all stick with HKS mid sections and back boxes. I dont because my priorities are very slightly different.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:29 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I kind of agree with Paul and Adam - had all 3.

Scoobysport, no complaints really apart from everyones got them - used to think the size was perfect, now it looks too small, but that's after living with a MaxyP Hiper

BPM - good performance, too loud. Way too loud. And with the bung in it's rubbish. IMO.

Hiper looks way too ott for my liking - but the quality of fit is superb and I actually prefer the sound to all 3 - is quieter and deeper at idle thant the ss or bpm, but in between the 2 when thrashing it.

I'd defo have a Hiper again.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:38 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

I dont have a Lambda link sensor or a/f ratio sensor.

"Otherwise each one of your opinions is purely subjectve"

Correct, they are my PERSONAL opinions of these exhaust systems, which I assume is what Peccy was looking for.

No point in going into mapping etc, it doesnt really interest me.

Hope this has helped Peccy..... who will now go and buy a Scorpian!

Paul
Old 22 January 2002, 11:06 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Andy Tang started with the SS bbox and centre on his MY'00 which he heavilly mod'd, then went on to the Hiper and got much better results air flow wise and power, cleared up a flat spot mid range too if I remember right.

As for sound and looks, its all personal taste (or lack of).. I my lack of taste is the same as Paul's Hiper!

I've owned a magnex system, HKS Super Drager, ScoobySport and now HKS Hiper, and will be sticking with the HKS systems from now on, build quality is far superior, and as they have a Euro head quarters in the UK, warranty claims are that much of a issue.

Although, I'm very tempted by the TSL bbox, as sound and build quality is right up there with HKS/Magnex.

(all my own opinions based on what I like, not necessarily yours)

Alex

PS. Although my ideal setup would be ScoobySport Up & Down pipes + HKS centre & back box

[Edited by DrEvil - 1/22/2002 11:10:51 AM]
Old 22 January 2002, 02:03 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I took off my SS mid and backbox to replace it with a Hiper.
Still running a SS downpipe, I found the car to pull stronger.

The sound is much deeper, really noticable at tickover, approaching the d4mn loud on full throttle.
I actually see people in cars behind me looking down at the exhaust tailpipe when in traffic, it is mighty large, but kept nice a clean looks might mean aswell

Just make sure you check no animal has crawled in for shelter during the night before you start her up in the mornings
Old 22 January 2002, 03:57 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

mmmm

I have the HKS system, Thursday I'm getting the Scooby sport 3 inch down pipe fitted.

Anyone tried this little setup ?
Was it loud
Was it more power full

Old 22 January 2002, 04:55 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think both Andy T and Trout had the SS dp with HKS hiper, both reckon it works well.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:17 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi folks - I ran a full scoobysport system on my first 2 imprezas for nearly 2 1/4 years.

Quality Yes
Performance - oh yeah
Sound - ummmm
Price - good

when the P1 came I fancied a change - I started with my original scoobysport system cos its a good bet.

Then I changed the BB to a Blitz NUR Spec - liked the shiney crome coz I'm a tart like that.

Performance Yes (but how can you really measure +/- approx 1.4233594 recuring power differences)

Sound - oh my god - it was like the end of the world when you started the car. VERY VERY loud and the overrun noise was just insane.

Quality - Amazing quality spiral welds holding the tailpipe on - lovely shiny crome - just like the precious things in the shop.

And then the headaches came - a long journey would just about make your ears bleed - kids moaned - wife moaned - dog barked etc.

So I dropped upon a bargin HKS system - I'd always liked them since first meeting Mark (R19KET) in 1999. Was concerned over the size of the thing - and maybe the noise.

HKS Hyper

Quality - lovely exhaust with a very very straight path - the BB won't easily mate to anything other than the HKS hyper centre. Nice shiney crome - lovely spiral weld on the tip. Dustbin size looks

Performance - er all exhausts are kinda similar in performance (or at least the good ones are) but without an ECU change you can't make the most of it

Sound - vroom vroom - A little throbby but the resonator in the centre pipe helps to keep the noise and vibrations to a minimum - over 5000 rpm it sounds just manic very loud.

Price - not the cheapest of systems - but when you get a HKS Racing Downpipe and HKS Hyper for < £300 and only 3 months old you don't complain.

I'm glad I made the change - it adds to the rest of my HKS collection (Super Racing Suction and Sequential Blow-off valve). The scoobysport is in the garage - just in case.

just my views.

Ian
PS: Room to rent - up my zorst - nice location - good heating system £100PCM
Old 24 January 2002, 11:48 AM
Scooby Pilot
Scooby Regular

Ive got a HKS on my STi 5 along with there induction kit, sounds fantastic, great power increase. A bit noisy but that dont bother me, highly recommended.
Old 24 January 2002, 12:19 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andys HKS is now on my Type R After exchanging it for my scoobysport system, and the difference is noticeable right through the rev band. Has freed up no end with much more torque . Noisy ! yes fairly coupled with my Blitz induction, and blitz dump but every one to there own i love the sound beats Kiss FM anyhow oh and have to agree with Poc HKS stainless is far better quality!. G.