Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2008, 03:48 PM
Micky Type-R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Casings

Hi guys,

sorry if threads a bit long

First let me start by saying that I'm a newbie to suburu ownership,and this site so please bear with me if I sound stupid as most of my past cars were RWD,non turbo.I have spent time trawling these forums before joining trying to find information (lots of it extremely interesting) about my problem but the other threads don't seem to quite cover it.

I've just bought myself a little christmas prezzy of a '98 impreza Type-r with the DCCD.Now when I got the car the person who I brought it from explained that it needed a clutch,which I could easily tell myself.He had just been out that morning and got a standard one and offered to fit it for me for the following week.I decided that it would be easier to take the car and get it fitted at a local garage.Not a big issue you'd think.....yeah right!

I took the car into the garage and during the work they discovered that the shaft (casing) that the clutch thrust bearing sits on is damaged.It looks like it has been worn down and now there are notches in it causing the new bearing the foul as it is being engaged hence not working correctly.

Here come the questions,

1 Is there any way to have this shaft machined and sleeved to fit the bearing

2 If a new casing is required are all turbo casings the same or will it have to be a specific casing for the DCCD (I know about the ratios being different but not a factor as I only want the casings)

3 Any other ideas????

I hope someone can help give me info or at least point me in the right direction.Thanks

Mick
Old 23 January 2008, 07:43 AM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

the tube that goes over the input shaft is separate to the gearbox and this is what the release bearing slides on so should be able to get a replacement part i would have thought ?
Old 23 January 2008, 10:04 AM
P1SWRT
Scooby Regular

Default clutch bearing issues

Originally Posted by Micky Type-R
Hi guys,

sorry if threads a bit long

First let me start by saying that I'm a newbie to suburu ownership,and this site so please bear with me if I sound stupid as most of my past cars were RWD,non turbo.I have spent time trawling these forums before joining trying to find information (lots of it extremely interesting) about my problem but the other threads don't seem to quite cover it.

I've just bought myself a little christmas prezzy of a '98 impreza Type-r with the DCCD.Now when I got the car the person who I brought it from explained that it needed a clutch,which I could easily tell myself.He had just been out that morning and got a standard one and offered to fit it for me for the following week.I decided that it would be easier to take the car and get it fitted at a local garage.Not a big issue you'd think.....yeah right!

I took the car into the garage and during the work they discovered that the shaft (casing) that the clutch thrust bearing sits on is damaged.It looks like it has been worn down and now there are notches in it causing the new bearing the foul as it is being engaged hence not working correctly.

Here come the questions,

1 Is there any way to have this shaft machined and sleeved to fit the bearing
I seriously doubt that would be the correct solution
2 If a new casing is required are all turbo casings the same or will it have to be a specific casing for the DCCD (I know about the ratios being different but not a factor as I only want the casings)
You would need a casing starting with TY752. and all STi main casings with this number are the same

3 Any other ideas????
get a new input shaft and have your existing gears pressed onto it

I hope someone can help give me info or at least point me in the right direction.Thanks

Mick
cheers

Last edited by P1SWRT; 23 January 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:45 AM
Micky Type-R
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.

The shaft doesn't look like it can be driven out and replaced so new case will be the option.So what is being said is as long as the casings are the same (ty752) then i should be okay with the DCCD???? yes

Thanks again