Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP!!!! clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2008, 02:07 PM
bigmiller
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!!! clutch issues

tried bleeding my clutch after being told it was a piece of cake to do by a mate. it has since hit the floor and isnt coming up....

i have managed to get it so it will engage gears,

but now only seems to have any pressure/feel after depressing it half way down. is it an enormous air lock?

is there a proper order for pumping the clutch and releasing the fluid?

any help will be greatly appreciated and if u have the right answer i will buy u a pint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 January 2008, 06:07 PM
john493
Scooby Newbie

Not conversant with this particular layout, but usually get someone to pump the pedal to get as much movement as possible then hold it down - then release the bleed nipple & close it, then get assistant to release the pedal. Repeat until you have a good firm pedal.
Old 22 January 2008, 06:12 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow this:

Get some dot 5.1 fluid (Halford etc)
Get to the slave cylinder on the gearbox and remove it.
Get a small clamp and remove the plunger pin out of the cylinder (just pull it out)
With the clamp, squeeze the piston in the slave gently right into the housing as deep as it will go (about 25mm iirc)

Open the nipple with the bleed tube in place and pump /normally' displacing the fluid from the reservoir and top up with 5.1
Keep going till you feel you have purged the old fluid by the fresh. I do it so i have recharged the reservoir 2 times.
Lock-off the nipple.
Remove the clamp, replace after cleaning the plunger pin and bolt back onto the 'box.
Ensure the reservoir is full!
Gently pump the pedal till the plunger pin is in its place and you should have a nice pedal feel, with fluid resistant to heat from the turbo in traffic (hence the 5.1 fluid) and be happy ever after!

Let me know how you get on
Old 22 January 2008, 08:09 PM
scoobypete
Scooby Regular

Bigmiller posting on petes computer!

cheers graham, any chance of some elaboration on the plunger pin....not entirely sure what it is! we have bled it with new fluid, and new fluid is coming out of the nipple but we cant get the feel in the pedal back!
Old 22 January 2008, 10:26 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the shaft of steel that locates in the piston and simply sticks out and pushes the clutch actuation fork. Has a simple rubber boot to seal from muck and bullets over it.
It is about 6 or 8mm in diameter and about 60mm long. Been some time since I bled mine now, about 5 years!