Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2008, 01:04 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced STI5 Diff to STI6 Diff Problem

Help

I replaced my sti5 diff with a sti6.

After a recent mot the tester mentioned the drive shaft was not properly locking into the rear diff, i dropped the diff and that indeed there was no snap ring on the passenger side of the diff.
i ordered a snap ring off Subaru and duly tried to fit it, and the bugger just wouldn’t fit.
The snap ring on the shaft was too tight and didn’t allow it to compress and when i fitted it within the cut out in the r - diff again it was too tight and wouldn’t expand allowing the shaft to locate.

I then compared my old sti5 with your STI6 diff and they appear to be slightly different, my old sti5 had the same snap ring i had ordered from Subaru and there appears to be more room in the cut out in the diff for the snap ring to expand - do i need to order a different part from Subaru ?

Any help would be really appreciated 2 experineced mechanics have had a crack at it and they're stumpted.

cheers
Chris
Old 22 January 2008, 01:11 AM
p1dazza
Scooby Regular

I have been told by someone who knows STi 5+6 well that if they are notR orRA with dccd then the boxes diffs and driveshafts are identical.
Old 22 January 2008, 07:29 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the snap rings id DESIGNED to stay in the diff, other side in the shaft.

The drive shafts for the Viscouse LSD (Sti) are different in 'internal' length to the Sti RA lsd.

I have truely been there/T shirt stuff 12 months ago.

The shafts just might be TOO LONG! (by about 1mm. This happened to me and I shattered a drive shaft in the diff.

The way to test this is to fully install one side. Try to install the other and if it will not locate, reverse the test. Install the side you have just tried and check if the other will snap-in.

If it will not then the first shaft is stopping it from entering the diff enough.

You can carefully gring a 1mm bit off the long shaft end and try again.

THE expert on all this is David at Welcome to the API website
Old 22 January 2008, 03:52 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

cheers 911

funnily enough the shaft without the snap ring will sit on the diff with no problems.

the snap ring that sat on the shaft was it thinner than the one in the diff - Subaru UK can't seem to find a part number another sugestion was to deepen the cut out on the shaft to allow the snap ring to compress.
Old 22 January 2008, 06:04 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT DO THAT!

The shaft will snap. The rings are all ok when in the right place on the right shafts.
You must get them both to snap into place. Before all my troubles started i thought I had it sorted, on the first fierce drag start the 'loose' shaft slipped out of the diff and when it reached the point where the groove was almost out of the diff internals the end snapped off inside the diff spreading shards of hardened steel into the diff. This was with 360 bhp/350 lbft engine on hillclimb slicks etc.

David at API sorted everything out, his transmission guy Rob is a master with it all.