exhaust advice?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2002, 05:17 PM
broom5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

wwhich one?

i have a uk my00 totally standard and am thinking of changing my zorst for something that sounds better.

i dont want one that is going to be loud as i do most mileage on motorway and dont want a headache when i finish my journey.

but i do want one that you notice around town.

any ideas out there as to the right one for my needs.

thanx in advance

dave
ps. i know if i change the zorst it will mean more mods to follow but i cant help myself anymore.
Old 17 January 2002, 06:02 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Depends how worried you are about warranty... I got a WR Sport backbox (oval tailpipe) which I'm pleased with - good sound but not too loud. Expensive @ ~£350, but you might pick one up 2nd hand like I did.

There's also a Prodrive one available with a round tailpipe for about the same money. Both from Subaru dealers, covered under warranty.

Having said that, I'm hoping to replace the downpipe and centre with Scoobysport items soon, but I'll probably keep the backbox. I personally find Scoobysport's backbox (~£260) a bit loud for my taste, but I'd suggest trying to get a listen of one local to you.

Magnex backbox apparently sounds good to, whilst being fairly quiet on the motorway - there's been a few recent posts about this.

Whatever you decide, a new backbox is a great first upgrade IMHO.

Cheers
Tim
Old 17 January 2002, 06:13 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi broom

What do you want to do - just change the back box or do the full system? A back box on it's own will not (IMHO) give much in the way of power gains, but maybe that's not what you're after anyway.

Also depends on how much you want to spend.
Do you want to remove the cats? If so you will (depending on what you do) have to be prepared to re-fit them prior to your MOT test.

I've got a Scooby Sport back box on.
Sounds great, costs about £300.

Lots of choice though, and your question has been asked many times before (including by me). If the search facility is working, try searching "exhaust" or "back box" there's loads of info on this site already...

Have fun,

Rich

I took ages with my reply 'cos I took a couple of phone calls while I was in the middle of posting (me=muppet) so NBW got his reply in first.

To avoid any confusion:
NBW said £260 for a SS back box, I said about £300 - we're both right, £260 is without VAT £305.50 is with VAT.

Also, you said you do a lot of motorway driving.
I do a bit myself and don't find the Scooby Sport box to be a problem. But NBW's right - the best way is to check out other scoobs with different options, at a local meet, and see what you think.

[Edited by RichS - 1/17/2002 6:26:23 PM]