knocking/thuding noise ,help

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2007, 07:40 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking/thuding noise ,help

this started about 6 weeks ago,
at first it was only noticable when on full steering lock but now does it when knowhere near full lock.
it doesnt happen when the car is cold so I can rule out cv joints which i was sure it wasnt anyway.
usually starts after driving about 10 miles and now by the time i've done 20 it is really bad.
also it probably does it during normal driving but i can only notice it easily when parking or three point turning which is more like 10 point turning now.
the gearbox operates fine ,but someone said it could be something to do with the gearbox ,cant remember at the moment what it was,but basically might need a new gear box.

anyone had this ,can advise who to speak to,know the best place to get a gearbox if it comes to that.

thanks

gary
Old 06 December 2007, 08:27 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary:
What car spec is it?
If it is a dccd equiped car then that is possibly where the issue is. If so, put the dccd into fully open and see if that changes things.
Old 06 December 2007, 08:33 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

no dccd ,mate,its a standard sti6 setup
Old 07 December 2007, 02:54 PM
Drewski
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary mine has started doing a similar thing, I have a MY02 WRX. It started by rear wheels grabbing on both full locks, ok in a straight line, same sort of time difference when it occurs (doesn't do it when cold). Now its started on setting off (NOT clunking) I've just spent a good wedge on the gearbox were 3 bearings were slightly worn and replaced but nothing else was mentioned. I seem to think it may be the diff, which one I'm not sure, front, middle or rear. The noise seems to be coming from the front now as from the rear previously?
I had read that tyre differences can cause this I had Continentals all round but now they're only on the rear with Bridgestones on the front.
Sorry to jump in on your thread but I thought you'd like to know what I've tried up to yet. Hope you have luck without forking out money where its not needed.
Cheers Drew
Old 07 December 2007, 07:13 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

interesting what you say about the tyres,i have only had the car for 4months and the fronts had new cheap tyres fitted, the back were better tyres but well worn.
Old 13 December 2007, 07:45 PM
Sclarke
Scooby Regular

I have had what sounds to be a similar knocking noise on my type R. It was coming from the front diff and sounded like the driveshafts were going to drop out. Few people offered suggestions and another garage thought it was a strange LSD setup. Turned out that when I fitted new discs and pads a couple of days ago the front calipers were seized and the brakes were binding badly. As soon as this was cured the diff knocking noise has gone. I am guessing that the binding brakes was causing wind up in the front diff and causing it to knock.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old 24 May 2008, 01:18 AM
Drewski
Scooby Regular

Found this post again
If anyone is interested I changed the g/box and its perfic.
So I presume it had to be the diff in the gearbox

Cars ok now