Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Attention All STI RA owners with stock tranny and diffs

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2002, 12:57 AM
latinskllz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention All STI RA owners...

What's your dynoed horsepower and torque with your sti tranny and diffs?

I'm debating if I should just get a sti ra tranny and diffs for my EJ25 Turbo.

I will be using the VF23 with Parallel Engine Management and should be around 300hp or so, but I would like to know if the STI RA tranny will be able to handle the torque that my EJ25 should produce.

What do you guys think? I don't have enough money to purchase hardened synchros so I'm just looking at getting used sti ra tranny and diff.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any way that I will not have to spend a lot of money on, please let me know...wanna keep synchros!

Kevin,
2.5RS-T in USA!!!!
Old 15 January 2002, 03:13 AM
hackish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've heard the STi RA gearbox isn't really stronger. With that short ratio box you're going to be revving really really high without really going anywhere. My STi V.4 engine redlines at 8250. The EJ25 redlines at 6250. Ouch.

Also, you will have problems fitting the two together. You will certainly need a new flywheel/clutch mechanism as there is no way in heck the 2.5 unit will ever fit. I'm not positive the WRX part will even fit on the 2.5 at all. Depends on the output shaft which I haven't looked at too closely.

If you drive your EJ25 gently you should be able to make the stock gearbox last long enough to get a stronger gearset. Rather than dropping $3k on an STi box and the parts to make it work you should drop $6k on a stronger gearset for your existing box and then you won't have to worry about the 4.44 ratio rear end and the trouble to swap the tranny and half shafts depending on your year.

-Michael