Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Hesitation between 2300 – 2700RPM

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 12:47 PM
The_Max STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Iv owned a 98 STI Impreza for 4 Months now and apart for it gussling SUL I love it to bits…

But recently it has developed a hesitation between 2300 – 2700 RPM when moving through traffic in 2nd and 3rd. It seems like it is not quite firing on all four cylinders all the time but goes when you put ur foot down a bit more.. it also seems to only to be there when it gets to normal temp, but then again I don’t tend to drive it until its warm. Im not too sure what it could be and im worried sick that it is something terminal or at best very expensive…

I did top up the oil just before xmas and it was quite close to the second dot and not in the middle like u guys recommend.. Found this out at a later date and now can get a decent reading off the dip stick to comment on how full or not the oil is.!!!

Please help a worried new owner..!!

Thanks
Rob
Old 15 January 2002, 08:13 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

It could be that you just have a bit too much oil in it. I have had this with my car, and since reducing it to half way between the 2 marks have been OK. You need to clean the wastegate solenoid out with brake cleaner and reduce the oil level. If this doesn't do the trick then you probably need to get it looked at. There are other things that can cause similar symptoms but you want to eliminate this first as it costs nothing to do.

Hope this helps some.

Ken
Old 15 January 2002, 08:45 AM
The_Max STi
Scooby Regular

Ken Thanks for the reply

Umm this is going to sound realy stupid but what does the "wastegate solenoid" look like... Do i also have to clean the pipe connecting it...

Does any one have any Pics of the offending item... Iv had a look and there are so amy pipes going to the turbo and to other items that i dont realy know where to start..

Thanks.

Rob