Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Should I get an APS induction kit??

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 07:27 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The cars a 98Terzo, and I am now wanting to purchase 1 of these filters, can anyone recommend these and if you cant then which way should I go.

Im not worried about the noise increase, infact the more the merrier, but I really dont know what to go for apart from the APS, reason being that someone recomended these to me but what do the rest of you think.

These APS do seem better cos they drag cold air in from outside the warm engine area, so to me it seems to make sense cos others seem to rely on air coming through the front inlets but they are also sitting right next to the hot engine parts.

Recomendations would be appreciated.

SCOBY
Old 11 January 2002, 07:37 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

I am pretty sure they are a K & N filter put in to the Offside Wing - like you say to draw cold air in.

My friend GMT has one on his RB5 and it sounds great and I think he is pleased with it - no doubt he will post here when he sees it.

I think I will plump for the K&N in the normal position - it has been argued that at speed there isn't a huge difference in air intake temp under the bonnet, I know Stef has always sworn by his but I believe he also got a little inlet scoop over where the filter is in place of a bonnet vent.

Old 12 January 2002, 07:06 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

There appear to be two main differences in the aps induction kit when compared against the others i've seen (hks/blitz/k+n etc).

As you correctly state, the cone filter sits outisde of the engine bay, the main idea behind this is to give it a supply of colder air (those in the engine bay sit about six inches from the engine which must mean the air there is hotter surely?).

The other main difference is that the pipe connecting the filter and the cone are cast (meaning metallic) rather than plastic, not to sure what diff that makes.

I know a few people running them and they do seem quite impressive.
Old 12 January 2002, 09:46 AM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments so far, has any 1 else come across these??

Whats the best place to get these from & cheapest??

Thanks

SCOBY
Old 12 January 2002, 10:25 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Scoby, the only place known in the UK for selling the APS products are New Age Motorsport.

Dan
Old 12 January 2002, 12:16 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've put one on my P1, very impresive build quality and sounds great.

I found the instructions slightly odd - maybe just me - certainly I didn't want to drill the induction pipe to fit the temperature sensor (I put that in the wing just above the filter) and watch out for fitting the MAF tube upside down (wires should come out underneath) easily done.

As with all induction kits you gain at the top but loose torque around 2500rpm... I solved this with a baffle by the MAF to fool the ECU, drives much better now - purists would disagree and refuse to drive at less than 3K anyway!!

How to make it better? I wish it shipped with a nice plate to blank off the large hole left in the inner wing where the old resonator box poked through. And although in all the picies the APS logo is painted a nice white, it comes black as a raised area on the casting - so out with the white hammerite!!

I like it.

...©
Old 12 January 2002, 03:11 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have one too. It's made out of cast alloy, therefore never gets hot. I noticed a great improvement in performance right through the rev range. Done 8000 miles with it and so far no problems with MAF etc.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 12 January 2002, 03:30 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

The few of you that have replied thanks a lot, but have any of you got these on the older shape.

SCOBY
Old 12 January 2002, 04:30 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Topcat has one on a 97 pre face lift uk model (i think it is)