Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

GEARBOX,REMAP?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2007, 06:03 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEARBOX,REMAP?

looking for some advice as to whether i will need a remap,the story is,just had remap by bob rawle a couple of weeks ago,since then my gearbox gave up the ghost and i have had to put a new one in,it is an sti ra,so got a new gearbox with the same transmission code as my sti ra is supposed to have,anyway upon takeing the gearbox out and checking the transmission code on the box,it has a differant transmission code,to the one that is supposed to be in there and hence the new box that has now gone in.the one that came out felt the same ,ie,very low geared,just dont want to make any more grief for myself by the fact that you should really have it mapped again,i am thinking not,but i am no expert on this matter and any help would be much apreciated,thanks
Old 16 October 2007, 08:33 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

It should be fine mate, Changing the box will make no difference to the way the cars mapped. Although you should check the replacement box has the same drive ratio as your existing rear diff to ensure no damage occurs to the replacement box?
Old 16 October 2007, 09:55 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sparky N
It should be fine mate, Changing the box will make no difference to the way the cars mapped. Although you should check the replacement box has the same drive ratio as your existing rear diff to ensure no damage occurs to the replacement box?
and the best way to do that is,sorry for being dum lol
Old 16 October 2007, 10:22 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Tell us the transmission codes of the box that came out, and the one that went in - then we can work it out
Old 16 October 2007, 10:39 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Tell us the transmission codes of the box that came out, and the one that went in - then we can work it out
been out in the p1ss1ng rain getting them,dedication for you lol,
here goes,the one that came outwas TY752VN5BA,and the one that has gone in is TY752VB5CA,this transmission code of the one that i have just put in was the transmision code on the vin plate,not the same as the one that broke and came out,any help apreciated on this as i dont want another to go on me,thanks
Old 17 October 2007, 09:02 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

OK, I think I spoke to you a few weeks ago, via Chris of SurreyScoobies

And IIRC you have a STI 3 RA?

The box that has gone in is correct - its for a V3/4 STI type R or RA and has a 4.4 front diff and DCCD

However the one that came out is a bog std uk box - no short ratios and no DCCD and a 3.9 front diff.

So something is up - either the box that came out has previously been rebuilt with different front diffs / ratio (IIRC you said you had short gearing before it broke?) or the rear diff may have been changed to match whatever diff is in the broken box - if this is the case then it might not be correct for the new box.

It could of course be the reason why the box broke in the first place - if the rear diff is 4.4 and the old box has a 3.9 diff!

PM me your number, I may be able to work it out, I'm only down the road from you

Last edited by Jay m A; 17 October 2007 at 09:05 AM.