Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox gone bang !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2007, 04:33 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gearbox gone bang !!!

As above really, pulled away from a set of lights didn't accelerate too hard went for second and could't get any gears? Seemed as if there was a klonk when coming out of first? after a bit of struggling and clutch dipping and letting up managed to get second pulled on to the motorway got 4th from second and up in to 5th. Didn't notice any noises could get down to 4th then back to 5th fine, came off motorway going down the box into 4th fine then let the clutch up in third and there was a hurrendous noise then no drive manged to eventually get it into 2nd but then was slowing and got it jammed in first where it stayed all the way home on the back of an RAC flatbed!
I'm pretty sure the gearset is fcuked and I do have another box with a shuddering problem which i think is in the centre diff? just wondered how difficult it would be to make one good box out of the 2?
Any help gratefully recieved.
Thanks Neil.
Old 07 October 2007, 10:09 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could discuss your situation/options with David at Welcome to the API website
They have seen it all and did a great job on my Type R box.
Old 09 October 2007, 09:58 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks graham, Have spoken to david before, bought an exedy clutch and one of his machined lightened flywheels a few months back, Very knowledgeable and helpful chap, gonna have a go at repairing the box myself first though?
Got the box out and apart and it seems to have destroyed 3rd gear. I have a box i removed a while back due to a shuddering problem under heavy acelleration but it selected all gears fine and only had 20k km on it but it had the back end rebuilt using a uk box so i think there may have been a ratio problem causing the shuddering? Was intending to use the gearset and shafts from this one to repair my current box but wanted some guidance on how to replace the damaged bits and keep the correct ratios? I have a uk car but have changed to a wrx drivetrain including rear diff which i'm pretty sure is 4.1?
Cheers Neil.