Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CHANGING GEAR BOX OIL/REAR DIFF

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 10:55 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGING GEAR BOX OIL/REAR DIFF

will be changing my gearbox oil,rear diff oil very soon,on an sti ra version 3,can anyone give me any tips regarding this,ie is there only one bolt to undo under the gearbox to drain the oil out,i know there is 2 on the rear diff,one for draining one for filling.should i drive it first to warm the gear oil a little,and should i let the car stand again before refilling to make sure that it is all out,any advice on this matter would be much apreciated,thanks.
Old 05 October 2007, 07:33 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it both ways, but i think a hot trans/diff is the best way, just makes it tricky when the drain plugs j u s t come out and hot oil rushes!

Expect about 3 litres from the box and 3/4 or a tad more from the rear diff.
Make sure the car is level so the max dead oil is drained. Give it good time to come out.

Fill the box to absolute max level on the stick.

Graham
Old 05 October 2007, 08:44 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I let mine drain over night, the Gearbox, rear diff and engine oil.
Old 05 October 2007, 06:50 PM
Scooby Regular

Good move if you can do it, especially if the car is cold when you start the job.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:54 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

well it was bad news im afraid,started draining the gearbox oil and there was a lump of metal in the magnetic washer which was a gear tooth,so as i had not heard anything in the small number of miles that i have done in the car since purchasing it,i had a small hope that it was from the previous gear build that i was told it had recived.to cut a very long story short,once the car had been filled with new gear oil i went for a very slow drive to listen for any noise of which after roughley 6 miles,i changed to second gear and the box made a terrible noise,it was broken so now need to have a rebuild which upon everything else that has cropped up since buying this car,NOT VERY HAPPY!!!!.what made this worse was the fact that it had only just been sorted regarding the map the fuel pump,both of which i was told were fine when bought had been sorted,bob rawle mapped it for me and said that i also had to change the injectors and on my third visit to him,he told me that i cought it in time as it was ready to blow up due to running dagerously lean.nothing but nightmares,but once rebilt it should be fine.
Old 06 October 2007, 08:28 PM
Scooby Regular

Unless your are DIY with the gearbox, David at Welcome to the API website has an ace gearbox technician I've used.