Power loss Problem, Please help - maybe clutch

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2007, 10:48 AM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss Problem, Please help - maybe clutch

hi all,

My car is WRX JDM 1994 which has been modified.

if I'm driving and I'm in 1st gear and 2nd gear their is no problem. however when I'm doing around 20mph and i put it into third gear and put my foot down. the car all of a sudden will rev from around 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm but i will feel no power and then all of a sudden i will get instant kick and the revs will hold at 5k for a bit until it goes to 7.5k this problem occurs in 4th and 5th gear as well however i wouldn't red line just in case i may do major damage. i also get a slight clutch burning smell which u can get if u double clutch your car or launch it.

i know it sounds like a clutch slipping problem. but i have replaced the clutch last year in august for an uprated exedy clutch.

basically i really doubt that the clutch is worn just over a year considering i don't push my car beyond 300bhp which is at 1.0 bar. i haven't double clutched it or done any track days. i just use it to drive to work or just social use. i have checked and replaced all spark plugs and coil packs. i have checked for all error codes and cant find anyone. the only problem i have at the moment which i doubt is related to this is that i blow a fuse for my rear lights every couple of weeks and that about it.

Any help would be appreciated, as i dont really want to go and buy a new clutch to find out it was something else.

Kind Regards

djquest
Old 30 September 2007, 11:51 AM
Big_Papa_T
Scooby Regular

If the revs are rising without acceleration i'm afraid it's almost certainly the clutch. I'm not aware of anyrhing else that would case the symptoms you've described.
Old 30 September 2007, 12:11 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

what clutch would u recommend coz if it the clutch i dont have much faith in exedy clutches. or do u think i can get away with just buying clutch plate? its annoying that my clutch only lasted just over a year considering im not even running massive power.
Old 30 September 2007, 02:38 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Exedy clutches are good, it’s more a case of matching the clutch to your specific car and use that will determine the best results. As your running at 300 I would be happy fitting a 230mm STI clutch on your car this would probably be more cost effective at the moment however there are other options.

Fee free to Drop by one day this week and we can confirm for sure that it’s a clutch issue
Old 30 September 2007, 02:57 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

no probs mate, i will prolly pop down sometime this week and get u to check it out.