Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Automatic Trans Issues, 95 Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 08:33 PM
dashoveler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Trans Issues, 95 Impreza

I have a AWD 95 Automatic Impreza that I swapped a 2.2l non-turbo into. After installing the new engine, the transmission no longer supplies power to the the wheels. I put it in drive, and I go no where, engine just revs when I get it gas. I suspect something wrong with the TQ converter. Here what I've done:

-Installed the weird sleeve that goes over the shaft input from the trans.
-Changed the trans fluid
-I noticed a little oil inside the middle of the TQ converter when I was mounting it on the engine.
-I studied a service manual and it looks like there are hydralic lines that go out the the TQ converter.

Any ideas why I'm not getting power to the wheels? I'm kind of new to auto transmissions.

Thanks!
Old 22 August 2007, 12:00 AM
dashoveler
Scooby Newbie

I've done more reading and I'm finding out that the sleeve that goes over the input shaft drives the oil pump inside the transmission. There might be an issure with the oil pump not being driven...
Old 22 August 2007, 09:40 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did actually bolt the torque convertor to the engine flex(drive) plate after you mated up the engine/transmission ??
Old 23 August 2007, 02:27 AM
dashoveler
Scooby Newbie

I realized I made the mistake of bolting the TQ converter to the engine before installing the engine. It looks like I should have mounted the TQ converter to the transmission first then mounted the engine, then bolted the TQ converter to the plate on the engine.
Old 23 August 2007, 02:32 AM
dashoveler
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by merlin24
You did actually bolt the torque convertor to the engine flex(drive) plate after you mated up the engine/transmission ??
Yes, the TQ converter is bolted to the flex plate. I think I've figured it out. I removed the engine and studied the oil pump shaft. It had not properly seated into the oil pump inside the transmission. The oil pump never spun, so the TQ converter never got oil pressure, thus no power was transfered to the transmission. I messed up the oil pump shaft and probably the oil pump's mating piece. I have to remove the transmission and fix the oil pump. Shame on me for not properly doing things. I'm used to Honda's after all.
Old 23 August 2007, 08:27 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After you have removed the trans. again,you should be able to remove the oil pump from inside the bell housing and check what damage there is.
You might also want to pull the oil pan and clean the screen filter to remove any metal swarf, which if left will quickly knacker your trans.
When refitting the torque convertor,line up the lugs on the TC to mate with the oil pump and slide the TC fully home.
Good luck with it.

Mick
Old 24 August 2007, 01:25 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

good luck man, all the info above is correct, done the auto reinstallation in the street by myself in the pi.....g rain before & know how much of a pain it is without the right tools !!

dont know if you have a trans jack ? but if not make one out of a normal trolley jack & some wood battons & remember to support back of engine prior to ligning up the box, I tied it off to a 4x2 sitting across the bonnet opening ( didnt do the paperthin wings much good but hey I'm not too bothered by cosmetics...)

oh & watch out for the dowels round a couple of the bolts if they get "dinged" they can require some filing to fit......

just take your time & if you can get some help with the final "wiggle" into place
it will save you many pints of sweat !!!

SS