Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

legacy twin turbo from auto to manual is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2007, 08:38 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legacy twin turbo from auto to manual is it possible?

hello everyone, is it possible to convert my twin turbo from an auto to a manual? its an ej20 engine twin turbo. i've been told yes it can be done, i've been told no and i've also been told welllll! erm! i think so but you'll need alot of parts even more money and maybe a new ECU. i've an idea it won't cost pennies but all the people i've asked have confused me. to be honest its the first thing on my list of upgrades as, going from an auto car to a manual van daily is not good. i thought i would get used to it but i can't its been three months now, i have been ran into from behind once already due to coming to an abrupt halt when going round a corner. i've tried and tried to adjust but its not happening.
Old 31 July 2007, 09:33 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give David at API a ring/email - he will give you a clear answer on it.
Old 31 July 2007, 10:00 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks merlin.

We have just done exactly what you are asking, we fitted a 6 speeder to a B4 RSK tiptronic. Plus a 2.35 and rotated Garrett and all else to make 530 hp !!!

We needed the pedal and the clutch operating mechanism, which luckily my mates at Grade A 01663 744114 had for a sensible price.

We had the 6 speeder already and the prop was shortened professionally locally. The biggest problem is re-wiring the ignition, because you can no longer select park which you have to do to get the key out.

The speedo hasn't been recalibrated yet, but we have a fix for that. BUT if you go with a 5 speeder with a 4.4 final drive it'll match the rear axle and the speedo calibration problem goes away. [ 6 speeders are 3.9 ratio.]

There is a problem with the speedo signal too and we have had to consult a proper electrician to get that sorted. It's to do with the pulse wave signal differing between the manual transponder and the automatic transponder.

Mumbo jumbo to a spanner merchant like me, but our whizzo electrician sub contractor says he can fix it.

A few snags but not at all anything to be frightened of.

NO!! - we do not want to do it for you.

Good luck - call for advice anytime

David APi