Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust bang/pop !!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 12:06 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a bit of a race today with another scooby. It was an older debadged model, silver in colour with a huge spoiler. I was in my MY01 WRX, and there was an empty carrigeway in front of us. We both stopped at the roundabout then decided to give it some welly. I kept with him through 1st and 2nd then he really went giving me quite a large bang out from his exhaust as he pulled away. We then slowed and he gave me the thumbs up. He seemed a Nice guy!!! but what the hell was that bang? It didnt sound to healthy, looked good though. He must have been pushing 300bhp easy. If you are on here,do u care to own up!!

Cheers
Scrappy

PS Im getting rid of my car now for a faster one. :-)
Old 18 December 2001, 08:45 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

unburnt fuel expoloding on the hot exhaust, probably accompanied the bang by spitting flames had you been looking at his exhaust exit.

MMM...loverley!
Old 18 December 2001, 10:24 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Havent we been thru this a thousand times???

Even better, get anti-lag (als) then ull get more than jus 1 bang, itl b more like cannon fire! Ill never own a car without it now (and up to 22psi of boost at idle is handy too!).
Old 18 December 2001, 10:46 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ahh, flames! sounds like the guy had deactted system, which is, fingers cross what the blackbeast will have by the end of today.
Old 18 December 2001, 04:47 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

What ya gettin Markus??
Old 18 December 2001, 04:52 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve3drRS,

Whooooah. 22psi mmmm me likes the sound of that.

Seriously though, I looked into getting AL before but found it to be hideously expensive and a bit agressive towards the exhaust. What system have you got fitted?

Cheers

Gazza
Old 18 December 2001, 04:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

not agreesive to exhaust at all. there are no moving parts and frankly it can handle it. the problem is the turbo!

Might be okay on a nice garrett on a cosworth but I would not be happy putting a baby ihi turbo through that unless it was very mild.

Saying that, when the pectel does go on, I will be runnign antilag just for fun and showing off.
Old 18 December 2001, 05:26 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam,

Sorry mate. Disagree with you on that one.

No doubt the turbo takes a hit due to the increased heat which jumps from ~800°C to the 1100°C+ region. But it's the exhaust system that takes the major hit.

Fitted to a road car (normal zorst) the system would probably last about 50 miles.

That's what really put me off.

Cheers

Gazza
Old 18 December 2001, 05:30 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Antilag will quickly kill your turbo (AFAIK), oh, and it's illegal

M
Old 19 December 2001, 09:14 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Err.... hello, ive had anti-lag for year and a half now and i use its a LOT and ive NEVER ever had a problem with the exhaust or turbo (or anything for that matter), and my friend has had it for over 3 years (even when the EGT gauge is off the scale its so hot!). The flames/bangs etc is worth it on its own! But the instant throttle response is mad- not like a non-turbo car- its the same rush as when the boost kicks in normally, just at ANY revs!

When you get ALS, it can be mapped for different levels of madness, if you have it set mild it will be fine and not do any damage at all (to my car anyway). MILD will get the car running either zero vacumn (rather than 20odd psi of it) or a cupla psi boost off throttle (which is all u need as when its actually spining it takes jus a fraction of a second to hit full boost). On MILD, in first gear, running 1/4 throttle, pulling just say, 2000rpm, i can get 25+psi boost! And the flames/bangs are mental.
With MAD anti-lag (ALS) you would need a better turbo shaft as thats what would break. With MAD anti-lag you can get over 20psi boost at IDLE!
I would reccomend a 360thrust bearing in the turbo first tho.

Ive got pectel P8 managment and a special ALS throttle body- cost me less than a grand all in as i got the bits s/h (an ECU n throttle body cant really wear out so why not!?), and i know what companies dont charge mad prices to rip ur *** off...

Get it, its the daddy (last time i remember the 'Powerstation' Scooby had ALS if u wanna see- bet theyd charge the earth for ALS tho).

Is it illegal? What could they do you for? I dont care tho. Ive been pulled for it loadsa times (i have an on/off switch mind!) but never got more than a producer (i did get the police screaming down the wrong side of the road on a busy saturday on a main road just to pull me tho (not speeding or nothing- just decided to put the ALS on past the police station!) -slightly overdoing it tho...)

Makes people come out of their house to find out what the noise is, and scares the crap out of everyone and makes lil kids within a 10 mile radius cry!
When i first got it we was doing the final tests at the tuners(in the countryside) and i was driving nearby and they rang my mobile and said "where are you? We can still hear the bangs?"--- I was in a village over 2miles away!

CheeRS

Steve
Old 19 December 2001, 10:18 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

POC,
getting, or got and fitted, a BPM TwinDump. very nice, now have even bigger grin on my face!
Old 19 December 2001, 10:39 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

V nice Markus - I have one of those

Did it go on ok?

What car do you have again?

Paul
Old 19 December 2001, 10:46 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Steve,

ALS is definately cool and I was considering it last year for my old MY94 WRX (Motec kit) but was strongly warned that ALS will hurt the turbo which is why I didn't do it! (can't remember who said it but was definately a put-off).

It's interesting to note that you have different levels of it, now you've got me thinking

As for the legal-side of things I am pretty sure it's illegal, maybe the coppers have twigged what it is or seen the flames yet?

M
Old 19 December 2001, 10:58 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cops have seen the flames, but it flames on the overrun without the ALS on anyway with no bangs (like the new M3 GT racers- i want one of those!).

All these people who put these "dont get ALS itl kill ur turbo in 5 mins" stories have NEVER EVER had a car with ALS so what do they know??? Nothing, thas what, they jus hear its bad on the grapevine n thas enough for them- suits me tho- makes me one of the few to enjoy it!

Dont get me wrong- of course it will speed up the wear of ur turbo- but not dramatically- like i said, friends of mine have had the same turbo for a cupla years now with ALS and its fine (ive had it for 1.5yrs ish), and its not a special ALS turbo or anything.
steve.

[Edited by Steve3drRS - 12/19/2001 11:02:20 AM]
Old 19 December 2001, 01:10 PM
Michael Ghia
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Can you give me a list of companies supplying ALS and an idea of how much it costs?
Thanks
MG
Old 19 December 2001, 04:48 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Steve... that was very presumptious to talk about them not knowing anything... you are *wrong* mate as they guy who warned me is a rather respected rally car builder who works with Evo's, Imprezas etc all the time.

M
Old 20 December 2001, 09:07 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, lets not say ALL, lets say A VAST MAJORITY.
And rallycar ALS is set at super mad so it will kill turbos fast, but as i said you can change how mad it is (no difference in sound).

I think i should of said "theyve no idea of roadgoing ALS"
(eg- rally bloke says its bad, but thats cuz he uses it on strongest setting, and that scares everyone from using it on a lower setting on the road, thru lack of knowlege and scaremongering)

steve
Old 20 December 2001, 09:19 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh and another reason for ALS in a rallycar killing turbos etc is the fact it is switched on for 10mins+ at a time- trust me you wont need to switch it on for much longer than a minute at a time on the road.

Difference between mad n mild ALS is negligable on the road (as long as ur car is not running any vacumn (fit a boost gauge to see what i mean), then it really doesnt have lag.

Old 20 December 2001, 11:16 AM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I must admit, I'm confused.

I did quite a bit of research on this a while back and yes I got the stories of it destroying turbos and exhausts. I was also aware that you could vary the aggression of the system. I even went as far as talking to Motec about there product. Hideously expensive by the way.

But is ALS worth having on the road or not?

Gazza
Old 20 December 2001, 11:24 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Id say it is, you dont realise how much till u go in a car with it, maybe its jus cuz i drive like a loon, but id never have a car without ALS, it makes such a difference IMO

steve
Old 20 December 2001, 11:27 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Once my cars going again (winter interior n suspension mods!) ill be happy to take people out in it. Admittidly its a 450odd bhp 3dr cossie not a scoob, but ul see what ALS can do...

I must admit, 3000+ which a lot of people pay for it is madness, but i paid £750 so hey, billy bonus.

Cheers

Steve
Old 20 December 2001, 12:55 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Steve,

What did the insurance company say?

Gazza
Old 20 December 2001, 11:24 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

"....makes lil kids within a 10 mile radius cry!..."
-----------------------------------------------------

Hee hee hee
Old 21 December 2001, 04:02 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Steve, there you go mate, youve got a 3Dr Cossie. By virtue a hell of a lot more able to withstand the advance in EGT and Turbo wear for that matter. The comment about IHIs is true. On an Impreza, I wouldnt even consider it unless I had at least 360 degree bearings, and even then Id be very, very careful.

Ive been lucky enough to drive GpA and GpN Cosworths and Evos with ALS fitted and of course, it is nothing short of awesome, and yes it is turned on for longer on a Rally car, but lets not overlook the clutch and transmission of the poor old Scoob..........how long I wonder before you need a new clutch.

So, my ten pence worth, Cosworth - Yes, Impreza - Not on youre nelly. For the inherent cost alone I personally could not justify it; circa £3k for new ECU and ALS on an Impreza, plus flames = fuel = money =

If you want the full gen speak to Bill Gwynne or similar who are not just involved with rally car preparation, but know there road prep too.

Rgds

Rich

PS Forgot to add, Scrappydoo, many of the earlier WRXs are prone to running rich so coupled with a hot decatted exhaust, a sprightly right foot and maybe a Vent To Atmosphere dump valve, you can get quite a noisy result

[Edited by RichieC - 12/21/2001 4:05:57 PM]