Blown Turbo (98UK) - Help !

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2001, 07:38 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi All

Had a hesitation on my late 98 UK SIT which several days later ended in a loss of power and after sitting still for a bit and starting and stopping engine loads of oily smoke coming out of the back and a feeling of the car running on 3 cylinders.

Got it recovered to the dealer and the turbo appears to
have blown and is being replaced very soon under warrenty.

However, I am worried about where the oil has all gone. I guess it goes into one of the cylinders (hence running on three) and then out of the exhaust. But is it likely to cause any engine, plug, CAT or other damage and should the dealer do anything other than replace the turbo ? (Have not asked them yet, but would like to know in advance).

Also would be interested to know if the turbo should be breaking down at 55k miles ?? Does it mean the previous owner ragged it every day ? Can you rage ImpTurbos (under redline) every day ?

Would have searched via search facility but down at moment so apologies if there is loads of stuff on this somewhere else on site...

Any replies or e-mails would be apreciated.

Regards,

Colin.
Old 18 December 2001, 11:05 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Dunno about where all the oil goes but the turbo should be able to take a fair ammount of abuse, and as for running on the 3 cylinders?? that sounds a bit funny
Normally if you run your turbo up and down it'll last for years, if its been ragged then just turned off it may have cooked the oil in the turbo charger (taking into account that the car still runs of mineral oil??) and also does the car have full service history? (i take it it does?)
The turbo could have suffered from "oil starvation" thou, it doesnt take alot to seize one up if there aint no lubrication and they run at very high temps.
The only suggestion i can say is get the car emission tested to see if the cats are ok, also ensure you run your turbo up and down (give mine 20-30 secs run up and 2 min run down with use of turbo timer) also dont rag the car from cold, let the oil get round the engine.
One last point thou, ensure they change the oil pump when they replace the turbo, just to be on the safe side and hope you have your car back soon

Tony
Old 18 December 2001, 11:12 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about the oil going into the engine it will simply be burnt.

The oil breather system sends oil through the engine all the time. It really isnt big deal.

cars with dodgy gaskets burn significant amounts of oil, and all it does is waste oil. the real danger is the gaskets and that isnt an issue for you.

Old 18 December 2001, 11:41 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Adam,

"cars with dodgy gaskets burn significant amounts of oil, and all it does is waste oil. the real danger is the gaskets and that isnt an issue for you."

Which dodgy gaskets are these ? Exhaust, head, or lips

I normally find the latter causes most problems. When these leak, all manner of cr*p gets out

Mark.
Old 18 December 2001, 12:24 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input. Car does have a dealer serviced history and I have always warmed and cooled the turbo up and down. Its all covered on the warrenty and I will see if they change the oil pump. No longer as worried about the oil now...cheers, Colin.
Old 18 December 2001, 12:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

head gaskets.

have you never seen blue smoke from an old knackered engine mark?