Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI RA Gearbox ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2001, 07:15 PM
latinskllz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in need of obtaining sti ra hardened gears...which dealer will be able to provide me with part numbers and prices?

I have the EJ25 here in the states with the weak tranny(when going forced induction). I am in search of the hardened gearsets...from what i hear the tranny case is the same and some parts are the same from my tranny.

Any input on this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 17 December 2001, 10:45 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The RA ratios are much shorter and with a blown 2.5 you will have a shed load of torque. Unless you want to wheelspin in every gear, dont bother.

Not only that, but to my knowledge they may be hardened but they arent going to be strong. I dont know of any standard impreza cogs that will handle it. My 22B box was already letting go at 290lbft, and that is a type r short ratio gearbox, the same as the ra, depending on which age of ra you are talking about getting.

Although expensive, your best bet is to swallow the hit, and buy a proper after market gearset straight (semi straight from quaife) and dog box.

the main problem is the size of the gearbox. Being so small the mating surfaces struggle to handle the torque, and the standard synchros let go very easily. These aftermarkets ahve a much narrower reverse gear and use the width saved to widen the forward gears. Some of these are sold as indestructable gearsets.

Check out the rigolis car!

BPM, mrt, sams all sell them.

[Edited by Adam M - 12/17/2001 3:31:09 PM]
Old 17 December 2001, 03:26 PM
latinskllz
Scooby Regular

Reason is I was trying to go a cost effective route :P

I know I want to keep the synchros for everyday driving. I heard that the dog gears whine much and I would like to keep it streetable.

Please enlighten me with any information you may have as to help me better understand our gearboxes.

Thanks guys, keep those posts coming.

Kevin
Old 17 December 2001, 03:32 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

it isnt the dog thjat causes the whining, it is the sraightcut ness of the gears.

You cn buy a helical cut dog box, still difficult to use but no more whiney than a standard box and still very very strong.