Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Just fitted my new Exedy clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2007, 11:16 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Just fitted my new Exedy clutch.....

Fitted about a week ago as the old one was slipping.... A brand new Exedy clutch, cover & release bearing.

My friend helped me to fit it but what a job..... Took us 11 hrs to complete!!

I used to get a whistling type noise on very light acceleration doing about 50mph which has gone now the new clutch is in

However, The whining noise that seems to appear after a few minutes of hard driving still rears its ugly head. The sound isn't there if I drive normally but if I give it some stick & do some serious speed, then when I slow down this whirring whining type noise appears. I had this problem before I fitted the new clutch but I was hoping it was the clutch release bearing that was whirring..... Anybody know what might be causing this noise?

Car is an STI 5 with about 90k On the clock with FSH.

Aside from the noise the Exedy clutch is great! Bite point is a lot lower than before & the car pulls a hell of a lot harder now it's not slipping & the judder is gone.

Just tried a launch from standstill.....

Will these Exedy clutches take more abuse that a standard clutch?
Old 10 March 2007, 07:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the organic one then yes.
I suspect that the noise could be gearbox bearing(s) and might last for ever yet!
Now you have broken the back of getting the box off/on then a gearbox swop will be much quicker next time.
I've done it 5 times and I'm down to 5 hours working on my own in a simple garage with simple tools.

Just a thought on the noise:
Are you SURE your exhaust pipe is not touching the prop's center bearing carrier bracket?
Under hard accelleration the engine twists on it's mountings and the pipe can just touch the centre.
You need at least 10mm clearance when at standstill.
Old 10 March 2007, 02:38 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gearbox input shaft bearings! most probs the front one! Think its prone to wear! mines made the noise for about a year, only became really noticeable after i fitted a lightened flywheel. if the noise goes when you press the clutch pedal in, thats what it is for sure!