Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi - 6 Speed - Have i done any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 08:57 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi - 6 Speed - Have i done any damage?

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice... after a little mis-hap.

Was on the motorway doing about 60-65 in 6th... and wanted to cog it down to 4th to spool faster and pass a car.. but i accidently caught 2nd. The gear engaged and i let the clutch up... the revs hit the limit and the car surged forward (front end dipped like i was braking hard'ish)... within a second realised my mistake and planted the clutch back down... selected 4th and passed the car.

Im just wondering if i have done any damage... the clutch didnt seem to slip when i done it... and i cant remember the revs bringing my 'shift light' on which is set @ 7k (but it might have done and i was too busy realising/planting clutch again to correct my mistake). The gearbox feels fine, and the clutch feels normal... but for peace of mind i wanna make sure i havent done anything that could raise its head more seriously later on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:02 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

you missed a gear... if your still driving, and diddnt hear a "clunk" or "bang/thud" your good.

be more care ful next time please.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:15 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Above ,
Old 16 February 2007, 09:16 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 60 in 2nd I believe you would be well over the red line? and don't forget that as the car was driving the engine, the rev limiter will not stop overreving! It's done, so if everything sounds OK, it's best forgotten.
JohnD
Old 16 February 2007, 09:27 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Ok, well.. it seems fine, so i will forget about it. My other concern was the poteintial 'Over revving' of the engine.

I will take it out again in a bit now it has cooled down completely just to listen for any worrying sounds and to check. I pulled into a service station almost instantly to check through all gears and it seemed normal.

Just one of those gut-wrenching moments, mistake made... lesson certainly learnt!

Edit: Thanks for the comments, fingers crossed all is well still.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:28 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

if you drove home in it its fine
Old 16 February 2007, 09:46 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Been there done that shortly after my six speed conversion on my classic.

4th 5th change at about 7k rpm hit third by mistake. Result was a broken off valve head smashing its way through the piston that broke it off.

The worst thing is it was a fully built forged engine that was a little over 8 months old.

Like the others have said, if its still running and you have no strange noises then you got away with it.

Be careful next time

Daz
Old 16 February 2007, 09:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Been there done that shortly after my six speed conversion on my classic.

4th 5th change at about 7k rpm hit third by mistake. Result was a broken off valve head smashing its way through the piston that broke it off.

The worst thing is it was a fully built forged engine that was a little over 8 months old.

Like the others have said, if its still running and you have no strange noises then you got away with it.

Be careful next time

Daz

one expensive mistake
Old 16 February 2007, 09:58 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

1st time I let the GF drive the car she accelerated up a motorway sliproad, loads of revs in 4th, changed to 5th - got 3rd. Got away with it. She's now my wife and she's driven all my scoobs, glutton for punishment, me
Old 16 February 2007, 10:27 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Daz and Jay.

I have just driven it from cold, started fine without any noises and felt normal.

Got to a Dual Carriageway section where i got a red light (first time i actually wanted one) and accelerated normally through 1st, and then hard through 2nd / 3rd / 4th to 70MPH and all felt normal and sweet.

Its one of those things that i have in my head now, and having got away with it (apparently) i very much doubt i will make the same mistake again.

1 question though... how did it let me select 2nd so easy if the engine revs wouldnt meet it? (normally i find it hard to select a lower gear without a blip of the throttle to match the speed closer)
Old 16 February 2007, 11:20 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
one expensive mistake
No **** sherlock!!

Ironically it was a god send. Before that I didn't have a clue about the car and was I regret to say a cheque book tuner.

I got the car back with the engine in several boxes in the back.

It was the start of my learning curve. I've since built my own engine and after a couple of silly mishaps am happy to say that no one needs to touch my car apart from me now

Daz