Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lost acceleration???

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2001, 07:01 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am experiencing with a 1995 Jap WRX is that it cuts out the acceleration between 4000 and 5000 rpm. If I suddenly want to take off it will quit accelerating at 3000rpm but if I gradually build the acceleration up slowly it will go to the 4000/5000 rpm and give up acceleration. I also notice it is running without the turbo kicking in. When travelling at constant speed of roughly 60 / 80mph the acceleration will shiver... I am confused... what could it be... Please help

It came with so many electronic gadgets that were removed at the SVA centre in order to pass the tests. The only mod it has remaining is the induction kit. First I thought it was a loose earth wire, but when that was secured... still the same problem.

I believe it could be running on standard boost but at the moment the turbo seems that it is sleeping, because it does not kick in.

Also to let you know which may help is that I had a full service done to it which did not solve any problems, the air flow regulator was replaced, I changed the ECU (from another same year and spec WRX) and had the coolant reservoir changed... still nothing???

It difficult to explain... the car does accelerate, but not under the influence of the turbo it seems. Because when the turbo kicks in, one should feel a sudden burst of energy... but even past the 3000rpm limit when the turbo should come alive... it doesn't. So that's why I suspect the turbo is not even coming in effect. I can't really hear it whirring but that may be because the exhaust is loud. As I accelerate the velocity dies... and then catches up and then dies... It's like when you reach the limit on a restricted car. (But this is derestricted)