Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tappet noises

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 09:51 AM
Paul vL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a MY94 WRX STI 5dr with 77000 miles on it.

I've noticed that the metallic tappet noise seems to be louder than I recall. I don't know if it just because the weather is colder or if it's something more serious. I've been told it's probably due to me using Mobil 1 5W50 (~4000miles). I was told I should use some 10W50 semi-synthetic?

Very recently the up pipe burst so I had that replaced. Whilst the turbo was off I had a new Magnex DP, mid, Backbox, Bosch Platinum Plugs and K&N induction kit fitted . I've noticed that it smokes even when the engine is warm. This smoke looks like steam but isn't. Before it used to produce a lot of steam when cold but virtually no smoke when warm. Is this just because the cat is gone?

Whilst doing the emission testing I was told that my Lambda sensor was very slow (it was taking a long time for the emissions to settle). Will this have serious implications on the efficiency of combustion/fuelling etc? Is it worth just getting it replaced?

Any advice will be appreciated,

Paul

[Edited by Paul vL - 12/4/2001 10:10:56 AM]
Old 04 December 2001, 10:32 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Paul

I have noticed this from time to time on my MY95 WRX (65k). I don't know if there is a difference because of the cold weather but the car sounds the same as it always did when warm. I'm going to get it checked next week when it's in for downpipe change.

Ken
Old 04 December 2001, 06:23 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke on a turbo car usually indicates sealing problems within the turbo itself. Slight possibility of oil flow out of the turbo being restricted thus causing excess pressure.
JohnD
Old 05 December 2001, 08:07 AM
Paul vL
Scooby Newbie

John,

That sounds quite bad. Bad oil flow through the turbo can't be good!! Hopefully it's not that. I would'nt really call it white smoke it's just that before when warm the exhaust gas had no colour, it just looked like hot air. I'm hopefully just worrying too much because you're never 100% sure your car has been put back together properly.

I phoned the Subaru garage in Aberdeen and asked if someone could have a 1 minute look and listen they said ok but when I arrived I was told that 'we do not entertain grey imports'!!

So if anyone lives in Aberdeen and doesn't mind meeting up so I can look and listen to what an Impreza should be like and let you have a look and listen to mine please post a reply.

thanks,

Paul