Has anyone got any positive or negative reports of this
particular device?
Or recommend a better option for quick / cheap HP

Thanks
Old 03 December 2001, 08:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a search on Supachips, ther has benn a fair bit written some dgood, some bad, I seem to remember the chip tricks the ECU to supply extra boost (from memory).
Old 03 December 2001, 11:56 AM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi mate i've had a superchip on my94 for about 18 months now fitted with new bleed valve etc no problems so far lots more power torque etc that with 4" stainless decat system induction kit its all roses lol.
Old 03 December 2001, 12:39 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

As a past user of this device I would advise to be on the safe side.

I have a UK my97, the chip will fool the ECU in seeing sub 18psi or there abouts in other words your boost cut off or over boosting safety will not work! You are also provided with a bleed valve, which realises boost pressure.

To get maximum results or close to the figures you have mentioned I would advise to have a full zorst system, induction and run the car on Optimax. I achieved 275 bhp with 277 lbs of t.

You will them need visibility BOOST gauge to make sure it is boosting at what it should be i.e. 1.2bar. A knock link & lambda link would be handy, if that was the case then the link would be a good option especially if your looking to do more mods like bigger turbo, fmic etc

Even then you will need to have an idea of your cars fuelling from a rolling road session, it is wise to make sure you are running rich prior to the mod to cope with the extra boost.

What I did not like about this kit was that when the weather temp dropped you would increase over boost/ extra psi the only way to control this would be to stop lets say on the motor way look under the bonnet and fiddle with the bleed valve. In the summer you get the opposite from the heat so you have to fiddle again. To get this right you will have to stop a few times to get it right……..Pain in the A!

If you are paying top dollar ( I paid £450 for mine from a scooby dealer up north) it is not worth the headache! A EVC4 boost controller would be a better option.

I was happy with it for a few months then realised the limitations.

I hope that helps

Moe
Old 03 December 2001, 01:22 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I had a 97 Uk Turbo and looked into this.
I wont pretend to be a Technical Guru (cos Im not one). The gentlemen (he prepares rally cars for a living) who gave me the advice was at the time rebuliding two UK Impreza engines that had major problems, both had the above chip fitted. Could this be coincidence? I shyed away cos of this.
I was told better spend the money on an exhaust, or buy a WRX/Sti or other import.
I have a 2001 WRX now, great car but after the 97 model it feels like it needs a boost. Trouble is doing it so her indoors doesnt find out I've spent (wasted - her words) more money on the car.
Old 03 December 2001, 01:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Quick and cheap ways for more BHP normally end up with expensive engine replacements
There are a few on here who run superchips, some have no problems then again some have blown engines
(no other chip i know of blows up engines like superchips do)
You could go the PPP way or go for a link, both are more costly but very reliable they may not give out as much bhp but you dont have to mess around with them and also you wont get overboost as the link is setup on your car and the PPP chip is just damn good (PPP owner here )
Due to some of the horror stories i wouldnt go with one, the PPP at 1700 quid may seem expensive but you do get an exhaust too and ok, its only 240-250bhp but she pulls alot better than standard

Tony
Old 03 December 2001, 02:42 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

The thing with the SuperChips mod is that is can be set up differently on every car. There are two components - a boost clamp which alters the boost signal entering the ECU, and a bleed valve to alter the boost. The electronics aren't configurable, but the bleed valve is.

So how much performance you get depends on how much of a nutter the SuperChips fitter is. The good guys will adjust your boost to maybe 17/18PSI, whereas I've heard some of the fitters have been known to wind it up to over 20PSI. I think if you started looking at the blown engine stats, they are going to be related to who fitted the mod.

If you _do_ go for a SuperChip on a Scooby, I can vouch for London SuperChips - he's one of the good guys :-)

Cheers

Steve

Old 04 December 2001, 05:40 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Just to add to Stephen Done - I have been told the same by a few people now, Well Lane fitted mine 3 months ago & cars running great. The guy who fitted mine said it's all down to the engineer & no silly boost increases,....I can vouch for Well Lane

I have heard I might have some idle probs with the cold weather...but none as yet.
The performance gains were fantastic, inc other mods of course

shunty
Old 04 December 2001, 09:12 AM
WJW
Scooby Regular

I emailed Superchips some time ago to get the facts about the product, as the web site indicated that it modified the ignition and timing of the car, and this is the reply I got

'The conversion we use for the Subaru does not modify the ignition and timing as it is not possible to alter this as the car has an integrated ECU which means that there is no one chip which controls the fuelling, boost and ignition.

As such the conversion we offer involves raising the boost of the car by fitting an aftermarket product called an ABC which allows us to raise the boost limit and a bleed valve to manually adjust the boost. It is not necessary to modify the fuelling as the MAP sensor adjusts the fuelling according to air pressure. We have been modifying these cars since they were released with no reports of any problems, providing the boost is set up correctly and accurately'

It would seem that if it is set up correctly, then you should have trouble free driving and a big cheesy grin (270BHP).

Old 04 December 2001, 07:03 PM
FamousCoops
Scooby Regular

Talking

Go on do it you know you want to !!!!
Old 04 December 2001, 08:16 PM
graham pritchard
Scooby Regular

Many Thanks for all your feedback guys
I guess that the PPP seems the safest and most reliable

Better start saving - anyone know exactly what you get for the £1700?
Cheers again
Graham
Old 04 December 2001, 09:01 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
general ppp ecu, i.e. not mapped to your car setup, butmapped safely for more power, new exhaust system, air-filter? at a guess.
Old 04 December 2001, 09:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

From the manifold back, an STI cat replacement box, then 3inch system and Prodrive Back box, a bit of intercooler piping and the PPP ecu

Tony
Old 04 December 2001, 09:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hmmm sounds wrong, everything is after the end of the manifold may be better

Tony