Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Judder when cold - MY00

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2001, 02:54 PM
Piefan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My car judders when moving from rest whilst it's cold. After a couple of minutes it's okay. Is this normal or something I should get checked out?
Old 02 December 2001, 03:03 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

The dealers will probably tell you "they all do that sir" which is complete and utter bollocks. I moaned about mine, knowing that some dealers had replaced the clutch and bell housing with a P1 example.

Eventually after complaining about five times and phoning IM they agreed to change it under warranty. They replaced the flywheel, as well (which I don't believe) and since then (3 months?) it has been fine.

Hope this helps, Phill C
Old 02 December 2001, 03:38 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem on MY99 Turbo which I bought a year ago with about 20,000 miles on the clock. Mentioned it to my dealer, CCV near Witney, and they fixed it under warranty. The dealer said there was a standard fix for the fault. They didn't seem to know exactly what parts had been fitted, but it did include a new flywheel. About 12,000 miles later it is 99% OK. I have had clutch judder a couple of times, but it is much better than before.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Old 02 December 2001, 03:59 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

My MY' 00 did this - had the clutch & flywheel replaced under warranty at 12K - done 6K since then, absolutely fine!!!
Old 02 December 2001, 05:12 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

P1 parts don't always provide a complete cure, mine juddered away from the dealer after having it fitted, it seems to be getting worse some 5K on.
Allan
Old 03 December 2001, 08:27 AM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Same trouble with mine (MY00) at around 15000 miles, the dealer (Lancaster Sevenoaks) replaced it under warranty but did say that the claim needed to be made before 20000 miles. The new clutch had a very slight judder immediately after changing but soon settled down and now seems ok.

Jon
Old 03 December 2001, 08:54 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

I've heard of clutches being done under warranty over 20K.

Apparently Subaru measure the thickness of the old clutch plate to judge whether the clutch has been abused, before they go ahead with the warranty repair (e.g. your cars in bits and they say 'pay us to put it back together').

I guess they have a record of what normal clutch wear should look like at various mileages.
Old 03 December 2001, 09:08 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I had a new clutch put in at 31k miles on a MY99 - no problem from the dealer or IM. I reported the clutch judder at a service and the clutch was replaced a couple of weeks later.

I think the mileage being less than 20k is a bit of a rumour going around. I am sure that it is down to the attitude of your dealer and how many clutches the particular dealer has fitted.

In all dealings with my dealer they have been excellent - I therefore can't complain about IM either. Having bought my MY99 with 29k on the clock I have been well impressed with the backup.
Old 03 December 2001, 09:28 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Piefan

My previous Scoob (an MY00) did this as well. The fitting of a P1 clutch housing has significantly improved many cases of juddering clutch (something to do with the P1 unit being able to maintain higher pressures (?) ). It is not normal and don't accept the brush off from your dealer. If you get any problems, speak to Andy Barker at Cheam Motors who knows all about this. Details at www.cheammotors.co.uk

Cheers
Chris
Old 03 December 2001, 01:24 PM
Piefan
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I called my dealer today about this. They said pop it along for a test drive (despite me saying the car will be warm, it won't happen) and now a warranty claim is being made. The chap who drove it reckons he got it to happen - who am I to argue.

Thanks again,
Dave.
Old 05 December 2001, 11:26 AM
Michael Oliver
Scooby Newbie

Lemmy: CCV are my local dealer too - how did you go about it? I've got 32K on the clock and the car has been driven quite hard since I bought it at 22K six months ago!

Babber: What with the discs and clutch you've done well m8! Specially with all that 'other' non-motorway driving you've been doing lately...

Mike O
Old 06 December 2001, 12:33 AM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Michael

As far as I remember I mentioned it at my first service after buying the car (at 22500 miles), but hadn't heard anything after a couple of weeks, so I rang them and spoke to the sevice manager. He said the fault was well known and that there was an official fix that would be done under the warranty. I booked the car in and left it with them (CCV) for the day. I didn't have to make any payments or sign anything, and received no details etc. of the work carried out. In addition to the juddering I occasionally heard a soft whining from the clutch/gearbox for a minute after starting from cold, which was thought to be the release bearing.

On driving away from CCV the gearchange was noticeably less obstructive and the clutch action smoother. About 10,000 miles later I have had clutch judder a couple of times, but not during recent cold spells funnily enough.

Hope this helps.

Alan