Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Technical Help on 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 11:50 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Help on 4wd

A Newbie saying hello and asking if anyone is prepared to give some tech help. I own a vauxhall vectra gsi 2.5 v6, the project im working on is to carry out a 4wd conversion prefbaly using subaru components. Ive looked at the rear axle, diff set up this week i think it was a wagon ? and have found the whole set up very similar to the vectra set up. Naturally there would be quite a bit of fabrication work but no where near the amount needed to fit the calibra or cavalier set up perhaps its similar due to Subaru and Vauxhall being under the GM family.

Assuming I can find a write of f and this is an option of fitting the Subaru set up the next problem is the gearbox i could fit the vauxhall f28 gearbox which will straight on the engine but the early vauxhall 4wd system was very unreliable. Can anyone answer following
1) is the Subaru 4wd permanent 4wd

2 Is the Subaru 4wd all mechanical or is it controlled by electronics.

Anyone who can give any advise greatly appreciated

davey
Old 06 January 2007, 12:49 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

The more time i spend on this time the more i like the idea of buying a scooby
Old 06 January 2007, 12:59 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most WRXs and Turbo 2000's are-all mechanical 4wd. All are permanent 4wd. Some STis/RAs had a driver controlled centre diff. If you do a search on here for DCCD then you'll find it.

For example though, my MY98 WRX has no electronic driver aids or controls, apart from ABS. I.e. no traction or stability control. The newer models may well have these, but if you stick with an old classic WRX which will be cheap, it's just a basic 4wd system with automated diffs that don't need any driver or ECU input. From the way it drives when you do a few suspension tweaks, it doesn't feel like it's very front biased either. Gearbox runs lengthways, two drive shafts running off a front diff, and a centre diff, then propshaft and a rear diff between the rear wheels. That's my understanding of it anyway.
Old 06 January 2007, 01:11 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by silent running
Most WRXs and Turbo 2000's are-all mechanical 4wd. All are permanent 4wd. Some STis/RAs had a driver controlled centre diff. If you do a search on here for DCCD then you'll find it.

For example though, my MY98 WRX has no electronic driver aids or controls, apart from ABS. I.e. no traction or stability control. The newer models may well have these, but if you stick with an old classic WRX which will be cheap, it's just a basic 4wd system with automated diffs that don't need any driver or ECU input. From the way it drives when you do a few suspension tweaks, it doesn't feel like it's very front biased either. Gearbox runs lengthways, two drive shafts running off a front diff, and a centre diff, then propshaft and a rear diff between the rear wheels. That's my understanding of it anyway.
Many thanks for the info, sounds good idea by sticking to the older system as I dont have to worry about electronics, overall how do you rate the earlier 4wd drive systems both reliability and there effectivness, sorry for all the questions once again thanks for your help

davey
Old 06 January 2007, 01:31 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well I'm no mechanic or expert, but it's the first 4wd car I've driven and it seems pretty bulletproof. In fact the 4wd is just about the only major part of my leggy WRX (120k miles now) that is still in perfect working order. I had to have the gearbox rebuilt, but there were no problems with the diffs AFAIK.
Old 06 January 2007, 03:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

be easier to buy an older wrx i would have thought ..!

(an sell the vectra)
Old 06 January 2007, 05:08 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveymoll
... due to Subaru and Vauxhall being under the GM family. ...
That's fighting talk...
Old 06 January 2007, 05:32 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ru'
That's fighting talk...
apologies didnt mean to offend anyone
Old 06 January 2007, 09:04 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

lol

Although I do admire your spirit in trying to shoehorn the running gear into a Vauxhall, I think you'd be better off just ditching it and buying a Subaru. See how you like it. I'm all for these winter projects e.g sticking a rover v8 in the back of a fiat 500 etc, but the Subaru's the better car.

But good luck with it! I know the VW crowd love doing Subaru flat 4 conversions, not sure if they've got onto transplanting the 4wd as well though.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:37 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

I dont know anything about these Subura's can you tell what type and size of engines are in the model range, and are they v6 etc
Old 07 January 2007, 10:59 AM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

Mate, I will put anything in anything if the body allows. I have full running gear from a WRX wagon going into a Triumph TR8 rally car. I cut the floor pan out of the Subaru and graft it into the project car. Sounds easy but takes months and will work. If you want a Vauxhall car then cut the top off a Legacy or Impreza and weld it together. See you in two years for a test drive!

Seriously though, I got sick of making Ford Cosworths faster and drive better and ended buying a Subaru. Parts are cheap, easy to tune and they are more reliable.

I dont think I agree with the Vauxhall reliability issue. I have a friend who has welded the floorplans of a Corsa and a Vectra together into a Corsa shell. Topped it off with 250HP red top engine. It was in Practical Performance Car magazine last month. It weights nothing and goes like stink!

The first 4wd 250HP Corsa I have seen....short wheelbase so turns in well, light, powerfull and balanced.

I am building a WRX Wagon to race him in Autocross.

A company in Sweden have a website dedicated to tuning 4WD Vauxhall conversions, sorry I dont have the address but see what you can find. Remember your web browser will convert the pages to english. I am amazed what info is available from other countries on the net.

Whatever you do, good luck!

I like the fact youre up for a challenge.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:40 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Blademaster
Mate, I will put anything in anything if the body allows. I have full running gear from a WRX wagon going into a Triumph TR8 rally car. I cut the floor pan out of the Subaru and graft it into the project car. Sounds easy but takes months and will work. If you want a Vauxhall car then cut the top off a Legacy or Impreza and weld it together. See you in two years for a test drive!

Seriously though, I got sick of making Ford Cosworths faster and drive better and ended buying a Subaru. Parts are cheap, easy to tune and they are more reliable.

I dont think I agree with the Vauxhall reliability issue. I have a friend who has welded the floorplans of a Corsa and a Vectra together into a Corsa shell. Topped it off with 250HP red top engine. It was in Practical Performance Car magazine last month. It weights nothing and goes like stink!

The first 4wd 250HP Corsa I have seen....short wheelbase so turns in well, light, powerfull and balanced.

I am building a WRX Wagon to race him in Autocross.

A company in Sweden have a website dedicated to tuning 4WD Vauxhall conversions, sorry I dont have the address but see what you can find. Remember your web browser will convert the pages to english. I am amazed what info is available from other countries on the net.

Whatever you do, good luck!

I like the fact youre up for a challenge.
Appreciate your comments and time, nice to hear from someone who has actually been involved with doing conversions on 4wd, just so i got it straight you think it would be better using the running gear of a legacy or imprezza as against wrx wagon, if so can you tell me why you think this and what are the advatages of these other systems. To be honest I work in a Vauxhall dealer and have the advantage of having equipment use etc which makes it a lot more viable and easier than trying to do something like this at home. Also have a machanic who has spent years welding to a good standard and generally would enjoy doing something like this project. thanks for your comments

davey
Old 07 January 2007, 08:00 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveymoll
I dont know anything about these Subura's can you tell what type and size of engines are in the model range, and are they v6 etc
WRX is flat 4, 2 litre (generally) although MY06+ are 2.5l.

Legacy may have a flat 6 in the range? Not sure...
Old 07 January 2007, 09:54 PM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

Sorry confused you...use any.

Legacy & WRX wagons are cheapest but there are more WRX 4 door saloons around in the breakers yard. Most have same or similar floorplan. Legacy came out first and Impreza had exact same floor plan in the early 1990's.

My friend bought a Legacy for £1 on ebay and used that in a car with an Impreza engine. I would stick to one manufacturer for drivetrain and engine. Making up conversion bell housings and transfer box adapters can get rather costly. Why 're-invent the wheel' designing your own when the motor industry spent millions doing it? Oh and when it breaks (as they do) you can get hold of parts easily if its stock Subaru parts rather than a home made bit.

Something else to consider is if you change the floorplan of your existing car, will the abs brake sensors, exhaust, torsion bars, suspension mounts, fit in around your handy work. Its a ba****d when you cant get the exhaust to fit or the wheels look daft in the wheel arches because they arent exactly central. Or you have to spend £600 on coilovers and rose joints because all the suspension geometry is all over the place. (it may do left hand corners better than rights handers by the time the floors welded in and distorted with the heat process)

Plenty of knuckle rash ahead then!
Old 07 January 2007, 11:33 PM
daveymoll
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Blademaster
Sorry confused you...use any.

Legacy & WRX wagons are cheapest but there are more WRX 4 door saloons around in the breakers yard. Most have same or similar floorplan. Legacy came out first and Impreza had exact same floor plan in the early 1990's.

My friend bought a Legacy for £1 on ebay and used that in a car with an Impreza engine. I would stick to one manufacturer for drivetrain and engine. Making up conversion bell housings and transfer box adapters can get rather costly. Why 're-invent the wheel' designing your own when the motor industry spent millions doing it? Oh and when it breaks (as they do) you can get hold of parts easily if its stock Subaru parts rather than a home made bit.

Something else to consider is if you change the floorplan of your existing car, will the abs brake sensors, exhaust, torsion bars, suspension mounts, fit in around your handy work. Its a ba****d when you cant get the exhaust to fit or the wheels look daft in the wheel arches because they arent exactly central. Or you have to spend £600 on coilovers and rose joints because all the suspension geometry is all over the place. (it may do left hand corners better than rights handers by the time the floors welded in and distorted with the heat process)

Plenty of knuckle rash ahead then!
Thanks for the pointers, I will probaly end up using the vauxhall f28 as it fits the standard v6 engines which i am running, the reason why i was considering using the subaru prop and rear axle suspension its very similar to the Vectra set up, in fact on a visual inspectionunder a wrx recently i was surprised how similar it was dont get me wrong theres fabrication work involved. The cavalier and calibra prop and rear axle is totally different and I think theres major fabrication work involved. Do you think running rhe prop and rear set up from a subura and the f28 would be OK I cnt think any reason why not, would be interested to know your thoughts, as you say at least im not re inventing the wheel again, although it would in this scenario have two different manf set up

dave
Old 08 January 2007, 10:01 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

why not just buy an impreza?
Old 08 January 2007, 10:30 AM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

buy an Impreza!

If not check diff ratio's match.