Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

APS high flow results (a 10 bhp increase but..)

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2001, 10:57 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi L-O Strid,

Stelios won't be on till Monday, but I may be able to help you. Stelios ended up buying the VF29 from New Zealand. Probably the same place you found. They had the best prices. He changed his mind after we were told by a respectable tuner in OZ that the VF30 was suited to the new MY01 car with the variable cam timing. After they tried the VF30 on a few cars in OZ, MY99/00, they found that the VF30 did not suit the older car due to the variable cam timing. Lots of lag and not the best performance. He advised that the VF29 was a very good turbo for the older cars. Good low down torque and mid and a fair bit up top too.

I have not had first hand experience, so I can't really say that the above is definate, but Stelios will be fitting the VF29 with the Motec M48 pro this week and we will be testing it next weekend. So he should put up a post on this after the test.

I don't know about the mounting gaskets though. May have to wait till Monday.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Edited to say it's the M48 PRO

[Edited by WREXY - 12/2/2001 12:01:41 AM]
Old 30 November 2001, 11:37 AM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Just to share my experiences with the APS high flow (induction) kit.
when I got it (thnx Frank )i already had the following on my MY00 wagon 20.000miles PPP+Falkland d/p+HKS manifold dynoed at 266 cv @ 5885 (202 atw).
After APS fitment 277 cv @6100 (209 atw)
BUT
aprox 10Nm torque loss through the range up to 5000 rpm with susbsequent minor loss of horse power till the same revs. This may soung minor but believe me it hurts driveability around town.
Also torque /hp diagram appears more "curly" a clear sign IMHO that the AFM does not co-operate too well with the APS.
So all in all, great gains but remap is a must to get most out of it.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:50 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for those results. Like Stephen Done then. I am still wondering if simple K&N is the same, but my car is so fruity low down I can't see a problem. Usual issue as well with dyno results on different days, but there does seem to be a pattern emerging.
Old 30 November 2001, 01:17 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi guys

air filters definitely work however you have nailed the nail in the head as they say, you need an ecu to take advantage of it or otherwise you will loose out.

on thing though, the faster you can get the turbo spooling up the faster you will go from low down and the more torque you will have. i know it is obvious but are you getting the boost earlier or later with an induction kit ? an easy way to do it is to pick a gear and do couple of runs and take note of when you are achieving the full boost. and then change to an induction kit and see if it the same or if it has changed?

from my experience the link allows you to get the turbo spooling up a lot quicker than the jecs ecu, on a mY99 you can get 18psi before 3000rpm in 4th gear with the standard TD04L.

just a thought?
Old 01 December 2001, 01:54 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi there Stelios

I saw an ealier post where you where talking abiut getting a VF30 turbocharger. I'm thinking of doing the same, I have found a supplier in NZ with a good price but the problem is to get a hold of a gasket mounting kit. From where are you buying the VF30 turbocharger?
Did you buy both the turbochager and the mounting gaskets?

regards,
L-O Strid
Old 03 December 2001, 12:45 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Loscoob,
The VF29 turbine i got from Diesel Distributors from nz for a third of a price they where asking me over here. Talk to David Judd top fellow.
I suppose the VF 22 is the turbo for max power a frind with MoTeC, VF22, GGR exhaust, HKS manifold got 340bhp with 1.1 bar pressure. For me the VF22 is a bit laggy and thats why i didnt fit a fmic as some friends that fitted it got good power gains but the turbine spooled later in the rev range. I guess its a matter of taste but i like good torque low down even at the expence of max power as the i enjoy mountain roads not traffic light racing. Also note that another friend of mine with a MY99 ppp ecu,APEXi boost controller, HKS manifold and GGR exhaust got 315 bhp with excellent torque low down at 1.1 bar holding 1.2 scramble boost but the turbo run out of steam at about 6000 rpm.
Hope this helps
Old 03 December 2001, 02:45 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the input Stelios!
I'm also having a mail-conversation with D.Judd at Diesel Distributors, like you say he seems like a nice man.

Planning to map my car(MY00) with an Autronic ECU (Subaru pnp) and I'm really looking for good performance 0-60 but also a descent torque...
Is the VF29 the way to go in your opinion?

I will buy some kind o IHI turbo from them.
Do you know of anybody selling mounting gskets for the IHI VF29?
or maybe you know if the mounting gaskets are the same for the IHI Subaru bolt-ons like VF23, VF22 and VF29!

What IHI model did the person use having :
"MY99 ppp ecu,APEXi boost controller, HKS manifold and GGR exhaust got 315 bhp with excellent torque low down at 1.1 bar holding 1.2 scramble boost but the turbo run out of steam at about 6000 rpm. "?

//L-O
Old 04 December 2001, 12:49 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Suprisingly he had the OEM turbine with the result that it really run out of steam at 5500 rpm! The conforting thing was that by measuring the lamda with a sensor by MoTeC the car was nowhere running lean (at least in Greek temps) and that shows that the Prodrive/STi ecu is a good thing. As for gaskets its the exact same as the OEM item. As for the VF29 ill be a first here but i would suggest to sek advice from the uk on hybrid turbos as r Rawle and Pat know about 1000 times more than me! I found he VF22 laggy but its fantastic for max power,the VF23 a very good all rounder, the VF30 is shlieve bearing and reportedly laggy on old age Imprezas by the aussies (which have tuned more cars than the all europe put together !) I went for the more recent VF29 which reportedly is the improved VF23 and hailed by autospeed as giving torque all over the place (but do not think its that much). As my driving is on mountain roads and the very few tracks are handling tracks so max power is second to driveability.