Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New User - Clutch/GBox problems

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2006, 11:21 PM
JodyT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New User - Clutch/GBox problems

Right - first and formost hello to all as this is my first post ! (new owner and all....)

My scoob was purchased 3 weeks prior to Christmas and after a few weeks of easy driving the verdict is all good !!!
The Scoob is an R reg bog standard Impretza Turbo bar an exhaust (import Jap) + MY2000 wheels in silver. 44 thou miles on the shell but with a dealership engine change @ 21000 all documented and straight ...
Pics to follow in the right area when the problems are sorted !!!
SO
Plugs and Oil changed straight after I bought it .... as per guides from this site all looked as per the usual when removed..
Only other Mods as such that have been done by myself are the Big Three earth wise and a brief clean up of the Idle Solenoid as it currently has imtermittent idle problems minor atm though !...
This car has been stood for at least a year before being used again for a couple of months then sold on to me....

and so onto the curent issue....

I have just done the typical Christmas journey (aiming to go from Bristol to Stoke to S****horpe then back to Bristol) and part of the way into the trip had a major clutch / gearbox problem......

My wife was driving towards S****horpe after driving from our home town of Bristol to Stoke ( 121 miles ) then a 2 day break ( popped over to Abersoch - vv nice )

So started the onwards journey after the usual warm up and about 20 miles into the journey normal run no traffic aproaching a roundabout the good lady mentioned that she had lost all gears when shifting from 5 to 4th and slowing down, there was a slight shudder fron the car when this happened.... managed to push the car off the roundabout and find a suitable place to stop the car .. but still no selection of gears was available when the car was running ie push the clutch down and attempt 1 st nothing and when going for reverse slight selection noise but no engagement ! Clutch pedal felt as usual nice and springy and with the ignition turned off all gears could be selected after depressing the clutch...

so did the usual and rang a mate... he suggested clutch or hydralic's for the clutch and mentioned to try selecting first with the engine off then turn over with the starter motor - which pulled the car forwards hopping slighly !!

after doing this what ever was wrong seemed to have loosened as drive was available again as normal no clutch slip what so ever high power launchs are fine etc.....
so did something internal to the clutch stick to the input shaft causing this problem ??? This seems highly unusual to me and is the first time anything like this has occurred after doing at least 400 miles in the car prior to this journey...
We have bugged out for home now done the run back to Bristol and the car has run fine in traffic on the M6 etc so seems to have cleared the problem... and is fine the next day..

so the million doller question is this early signs of a knackered clutch/ gearbox or do I just drive on until something else happens ??
Old 31 December 2006, 07:48 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird!
I would:
Bleed the clutch properly and use Dot 5.1 fluid.
Drop the gearbox oil when hot and see if anything come out that is metalic.
Refill with Subaru spec oil.
Obviously, if the oil is full of something.....
If all is well, carry-on driving, but your confidence will be dented a bit till you are sure.
If it drives now smooth/quiet then I suspect the clutch not the box.

If you need the clutch changing, then suggest you contact Welcome to the API website who do a while-you-wait service, and will drive you both to nearby Leamington Spa so you can treat your wife!
Graham.
Old 31 December 2006, 11:16 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Graham - Speak to David at API- they will sort it at a good price.
I had a similar problem once - turned out to be one of the Damper Springs on the Clutch Center Plate had come out and jammed between the Center plate and the Clutch Cover(Diaphragm).
New Clutch fitted and problem solved.
Old 31 December 2006, 01:31 PM
JodyT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response chaps - first plan asap is fluid change for clutch line and g / box as stated to see if that makes any change !!

Future plans will be new clutch I think !! hmmm whats the best options in terms of replacement, standard or something better ??
Old 31 December 2006, 03:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always fit something better!
API do a very good Exeedy package, but the AP Organic is superb.
I've raced on mine for 3 years with a370 lbft and 380 bhp and it is still sound. That's 120 drag starts.(and 8K road miles)
As smooth as a stock clutch, but will cost £350.

You do get what you pay for.

The API deal is a cracker.(he also knows EVERYTHING about Impreza gearboxes with a technician who does them all day long)
Graham.