Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How much for 400hp...

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2006, 06:10 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for 400hp...

i have a my98 turbo wagon, few little mods, decat, panelfilter Dawes and thats about it.

i have just come into a fair bit of money and wondered how much to take my wagon to the magic 400 mark...considering everything, gearbox bottem end,turbo the lot... i really enjoy the wagon and its handy for my business so i wanna treat it

im after a round figure and maybe a place that can do the work needed

i am tempted to go american and get a big v8 but they dont go round corners!

cheers

Rich
Old 07 November 2006, 06:12 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...hp-out-p1.html
Old 07 November 2006, 06:27 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

still want a price, viewed that thread and seems 400 from a p1 can be done on the cheap for 4k, ive got around 15- 20k and i want it to last more than 20mins. its still going to be my daily driver, ive got 400hp in my head as its a good figure, but i wont be racing the car flatout every journey, so maybe nos is an option for when i want to go fast??
Old 07 November 2006, 06:39 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Why dont you put that kind of money towards a quicker car instead of throwing it at an old car.You will never get anymore money when it comes to selling it? 4k is bearable but 15-20k
Old 07 November 2006, 06:45 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

im not interested that much when it comes to selling, if i can get where i want for 4k then thats great but i have budgeted for upto 20k for car mods... if less than that then groovy. full hog i want, brakes,suspension, the lot!
Old 07 November 2006, 06:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sc450 from scoobyclinic, off the shelf 450bhp/480ftlb for 10k, you'll need gearbox and clutch but should see cange form your 220k i'd have thought and have a phonominal car.

the development engine has been in a 22b for the past year isha nd runs like a dream.

only prob, he keeps shreadding rear tyres on the 22b pmsl
Old 07 November 2006, 07:14 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Well done mate - if you've got the money then why not spend it on your wagon? They're great cars. I've spent 10-15k on mine, money well spent as I love the car and it's a great hobby.

Try RCM or Zen, you should be able to get a fully built, stroked engine for that which will be bullet proof and awesomely quick. Good luck.

Dave

Originally Posted by lightwave693
im not interested that much when it comes to selling, if i can get where i want for 4k then thats great but i have budgeted for upto 20k for car mods... if less than that then groovy. full hog i want, brakes,suspension, the lot!
Old 07 November 2006, 07:28 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

brilliant, thats the response i want
Old 07 November 2006, 08:19 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Yep, would agree with Daveo, IMO RCM is the only way to go, as you said you want it to last for more than 20 minutes. A steel bottom end and stuff will for sure make it bulletproof, have a word with RCM they will easily help you spend that budget and more

I am currently rebuilding my STi Wagon, with STi 9 crank, eagle rods and Mahle pistons etc, wont be quite 400 but will be nice and safe and bullet proof enough for my power aspirations.

Let us know how you get on ang get some pics posted ... and come and say hello on the wagon thread https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...sign-here.html

Good Luck
Old 07 November 2006, 10:44 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'd be tempted to sell your wagon, source a STI V5 (did they do a V6?) wagon and mod from there. That will be easily done for £15k plus the sale of your car.
Old 07 November 2006, 11:17 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I'd be tempted to sell your wagon, source a STI V5 (did they do a V6?) wagon and mod from there. That will be easily done for £15k plus the sale of your car.
Yep, have to agree with Jay m A as another alternative route. As with the STi wagon you get a lot of the ancillaries as standard. e.g. The turbo, injectors etc, including uprated brakes and suspension.

Thats what we did, I sourced a 99 v5 Wagon for the project as its the best starting block, you can ecutek it and it seems its a lot easier starting point from the 99 cars.

They did do a v6 wagon (GF8G5ED) but they are ultra rare and never seen one, very limited run of them.
Old 08 November 2006, 07:32 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Although an STi is defo a better base model, it isn't a difficult and expensive thing, to source another block, better pistons/rods and some nice head gaskets and head studs, if you want the engine to be bullet-proof for 400hp.

Do to your car what you want mate, but don't limit yourself to a budget too much. Take your time to search each part that your thinking about buying and this should give you an idea of the next part to buy...
Old 08 November 2006, 12:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by *smiles*
Yep, have to agree with Jay m A as another alternative route. As with the STi wagon you get a lot of the ancillaries as standard. e.g. The turbo, injectors etc, including uprated brakes and suspension.

Thats what we did, I sourced a 99 v5 Wagon for the project as its the best starting block, you can ecutek it and it seems its a lot easier starting point from the 99 cars.

They did do a v6 wagon (GF8G5ED) but they are ultra rare and never seen one, very limited run of them.
With 400HP as a target you're going to change turbo / injectors etc anyway, but at least you needn't touch the engine with a V5. With that in mind the cost of a built shortblock, then source some heads (for MY98 that means V3 or V4) then all the bits associated with an engine swap plus the labour will cost nearly the same as the difference in value between the 2 cars. Plus the STI will have the R180 diff with LSD, the 2 pot rear brakes etc, also the best 5 speed box that arguably may take the intended power etc, eleccy mirrors it seems to make sense
Old 08 November 2006, 01:21 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Cool

With 400HP as a target you're going to change turbo / injectors etc anyway, but at least you needn't touch the engine with a V5. With that in mind the cost of a built shortblock, then source some heads (for MY98 that means V3 or V4) then all the bits associated with an engine swap plus the labour will cost nearly the same as the difference in value between the 2 cars. Plus the STI will have the R180 diff with LSD, the 2 pot rear brakes etc, also the best 5 speed box that arguably may take the intended power etc, eleccy mirrors it seems to make sense
yep, v5 is same as the P1 engine, and seen several p1's running in the 400 region on standard internals and gearboxes.

BTW, conradbradley from 'The Racing Line' has a STi 5 engine for sale for approx £1500, there was a thread in the for sale section or PM him see if it is still available. As Jay says you could keep the STi 5 internals standard or could replace internals if you really wanted with STi 9 crank etc.

Or just blow the lot on a litchfiled/ powerstation Cosworth 2.5 Lump and say money is no object... make it fit
Old 08 November 2006, 06:05 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys, i like the STi wagon comments, got me thinking. better brakes suspension etc... would make sense.

cheers

Rich
Old 08 November 2006, 06:10 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

There are just different schools of thought, you decide which is right route for you
Old 08 November 2006, 09:24 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The DIY approach

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ssic-2-0l.html

I had loads of fun doing it although I'm not quite finished yet
Old 08 November 2006, 10:02 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

They did a v6 wagon but ultra rare - I'm lucky enough to have one!

Old 08 November 2006, 10:06 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Daveo
They did a v6 wagon but ultra rare - I'm lucky enough to have one!
v5 here