Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Chepaest way to get 400bhp out of a P1?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2006, 12:25 PM
SCOOBYSTEVE999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chepaest way to get 400bhp out of a P1?

Hi,

I'm just about to pick my P1 up in 2 weeks and wondered if anybody knows the most cost effective way to hit around the 400 bhp mark!

I currently make the following parts to go on the car; Pace front mount intercooler and rad, Blitz Nur-spec cat back,De-cat pipe, Blitz induction kit!

Any help would be great, Cheers.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I'm no technical wizard but i think with 400bhp your gearbox may not stand much abuse for long, been looking at this myself.

Bigger TD06 turbo (i think) equal length headers, uprated fuel pump and injectors + remap

If you've bought a P1, you might have been better getting a newer shape bug or blobeye STI as these have more robust bottem ends and gearboxes.

Sorry i cant see it being cheap (if you want longetivity) on a P1
Old 23 October 2006, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Why do you want 400bhp specifically?

The Std P1 isn't exactly slow. With a decent exhaust, fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid, front mounted intercooler and remap, a very reliable 330-340 bhp should be easily achieveable. This would make for a very rapid car! Start going much beyond this and if you want to retain the reliability things can get VERY expensive!

Ns04
Old 23 October 2006, 12:45 PM
SCOOBYSTEVE999
Scooby Regular

thanks for that, does anyone actually know what sort of power the box and diff can actually take?

I do love the peanut eyed Scoobs but I just want to build a mint car and I think that P1 is just a better starting block (maybe not engine wise though!?!)
Old 23 October 2006, 12:47 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

350bhp comes to mind as a max for reliability for box????
Old 23 October 2006, 12:50 PM
SCOOBYSTEVE999
Scooby Regular

400 just seems like a nice figure lol! I've got 2 friends with EVO's that are attempting to get me to leave the Scooby's and move over to them! I'll never able to compete with them because of the budgets they've got! ones just ordered his 2.3 stroker, the block alone was 15k and hes going for the 800bhp mark in his EVO 7 and the other ones running 600 bhp with anti-lag in his 6! I don't really stand a chance.

I currently have a classic running 280 bhp and it just seems alot of additional money to spend to just up to 330 bhp with a modded P1! (i do also take into consideration there is alot of differences between a classic and a P1)
Old 23 October 2006, 01:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SCOOBYSTEVE999
400 just seems like a nice figure lol! I've got 2 friends with EVO's that are attempting to get me to leave the Scooby's and move over to them! I'll never able to compete with them because of the budgets they've got! ones just ordered his 2.3 stroker, the block alone was 15k and hes going for the 800bhp mark in his EVO 7 and the other ones running 600 bhp with anti-lag in his 6! I don't really stand a chance.

I currently have a classic running 280 bhp and it just seems alot of additional money to spend to just up to 330 bhp with a modded P1! (i do also take into consideration there is alot of differences between a classic and a P1)
Keep the classic, or at least swap it for a JDM one (you'll be paying a premium for a UK P1 as it's a special edition; less money gets you a JDM Sti 5 basically the same car) do this to it:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Add front mount and you have about 330-340bhp. Trust me, it's all you need for the road!!

Save yourself a lot of expense and potential heartache just chasing numbers or keeping up with the Jones' so to speak.

Ns04
Old 23 October 2006, 01:11 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Join P1 Web Owners Club :: Warning, may contain nuts! and have a look in the project forums.

Myself (Marky mark on there), Pickle and Jazz all have project threads detailing how to get there.

FYI, Both Pickle and myself are running around 400 BHP reliably (touch wood) on standard gearbox, and he is on a standard P1 bottom end.
Old 23 October 2006, 05:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

You'll probably find that if they do get to 800bhp, they won't have a very driveable road car and unless they happen to be from Deutschland and have just retired from F1, they won't have the skill to drive it !

NewScoob knows from experience, go with his comments.
Old 23 October 2006, 06:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
You'll probably find that if they do get to 800bhp, they won't have a very driveable road car and unless they happen to be from Deutschland and have just retired from F1, they won't have the skill to drive it !

NewScoob knows from experience, go with his comments.
Many thanks, Andy.

Just to clarify for the poster, I have a MY99. I like the P1's very much, but I wouldn't have one if value for money was a factor as they attract a significant premium over a STi 5 (basically the same car) This is money that could be spent on mods, if you got the STi 5.

I suspect, and I'm very happy to be corrected by the more knowledgable, that 400bhp on the std transmission/engine internals is a bit much for a daily driver for a Scooby of that age. I also question whether you'd need anymore than the 340bhp that should be pretty easy to achieve with the classic STi anyway.

However, as said above, if I was aiming for a reliable 400bhp as cheaply as possibly, I wouldn't get a classic at all, but go for a JDM Sti7 as a base car, which sometimes attract less than a P1 anyway.

No disrespect to the P1 owners intended! I just don't think the poster has thought this through fully and may be trying to keep up with people with financial means way beyond his own and aspirations for the way their car should drive that are probably completely discrepant with his!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 23 October 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 23 October 2006, 08:33 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Not sure if the P1 gearbox is the same as the sti5 (P1 was based on the STI5/6)
If it is mine copes fine with 500bhp (and over 400lbs) - but I dont do standing starts, drag racing etc. AP organic also seems to cope with this power/torque also

Turbo is usually the key limiting factor and something you need to get right - I wasted too much time and money with Turbo's that were too small. The TD06 on a 2 litre engine is borderline too small for a comfortable 400bhp - but I dont want to go into comments on this - theres been too many threads on this - speak re the contacts below

Then you need all the ancillory bits like injectors, fuel pump, regulator, clutch, ecu mapping sessions - you can have the car Ecuteked which is the cheapest route?, front mounted intercooler and headers does wonders (lagged headers and downpipe), exhaust upgrade and more
Fuel derivate is also important - adding Methanol does wonders for extra power at cheap cost, albeit you might not want the hassle of carrying around small quantities of Methanol.

Speak to Andy at Powerstation or Bob Rawle (B R Developments) or Mark Aigin (Lateral Developments) - all come well recommended- though I dont recall Andy having much more than 450bhp when I saw his 2 litre on the dyno a couple of years back - Jeez how time flys

I dont know anyone else well enough to recommend as they all blow their engines up too often.........
Old 23 October 2006, 09:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

attach a thick chain to the front of your car and the rear of a................erm fast car.
Old 23 October 2006, 10:34 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

P1 box is the same as the STi5/6.

No point selling up the P1 and getting a JDM STi7 due to the weight difference. 400bhp in one is different to 400bhp in the other.

IIRC the P1 has a VF28 as standard which means you should be able to get to 300-330bhp with minimal supporting mods. I know people who have gone from that to the next stage (20g, bigger IC, bigger injectors etc etc) and there has been only a small difference in performance.

You will never be able to compete with 800bhp EVOs in a straight line unless you go for similar power which means serious £££££s.

Get a nice amount of drive-able power and set the car up with decent suspension/tyres/brakes and you'll most likely cause them a surprise on the AtoB stuff.
Old 23 October 2006, 11:03 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

So the P1 is almost identical to the sti5/6
I was happy when they came out as they were £8k more - with a warranty that I wasnt interested in
VF28 needs ditching immediately......... sell it second hand - there always seems to be takers - or keep to revert back to standard
I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads on this

Whatever you'll soon get used to more power and want more - thats why I would always suggest going for a larger turbo
Old 23 October 2006, 11:27 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fangoria

Whatever you'll soon get used to more power and want more - thats why I would always suggest going for a larger turbo
Not always
Old 23 October 2006, 11:34 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure I understand the last one there Bob?
I guess once you are satisfied then of course...........
Old 23 October 2006, 11:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I feel like the odd one out. Car has only ever been mapped once. 18 months ago now and still more than happy.
Old 24 October 2006, 12:00 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
To the contrary, Andy F recommended to me that I go for the smallest turbo possible for the power I want in order to end up with the most driveable car possible (although as you say this does mean you can't change your mind and become more "power hungry" afterwards ! ).
Old 24 October 2006, 01:33 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently make the following parts to go on the car; Pace front mount intercooler and rad, Blitz Nur-spec cat back,De-cat pipe, Blitz induction kit!
Has this car had a new engine? May seem like a strange question but P1'a have a habit of popping at about this age or anywhere between 30 and 60k. With that in mind my first thoughts would be for saftey and once thats sorted then go for performance.

I have a sti5 Type R so it's basically the same car with the same engine and very similar gearbox. To cover off the safety aspect I'd recommend a remap, either ECUTEK or Apexi and a knocklink for some added comfort. Once that's taken care of the first round mods are pretty much what you have listed but perhaps not the brands.

For a front mount I would steer well clear of Pace. You'd be much better off with a Hybrid, much cheaper and proven beyond 400 (411 on mine so far). Blitz is fine for the exhaust but doesn't get a great write up for the air filter and this is where you have to be ultra careful. Sti 5/6's and P1's have a known weakness with their maf's, chose the wrong filter and you could end up buying a new maf every other month or worse, much worse. Like I said, does it have a new engine? Better to stick to Apexi for the filter and be safe.

To complete the 400 you'll need an uprated fuel pump, fpr, bigger injectors, headers, remap and turbo. Oh, and a very patient better half.
Old 24 October 2006, 03:21 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I'm just about to pick my P1 up in 2 weeks and wondered if anybody knows the most cost effective way to hit around the 400 bhp mark!

A lot cheaper; and itll last.....

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 03:44 AM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Put your name down for the RAF ....plenty of speed and a contribution to your country other than menacing the streets
Old 24 October 2006, 03:45 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Any help would be great, Cheers.
Sell a kidney and purchase the Cosworth type 25 engine from Powerstation.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:11 PM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
attach a thick chain to the front of your car and the rear of a................erm fast car.
Ahh! Matey boy, stop slaggin off the car that you tried to buy but couldn't.

Your turning into a proper p1 hating scoobynetter.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:17 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

fmic,550cc injectors.K+N57i and a md321 from Mark
oh,then a remap with Bob Rawle.

i used to have the blitz I.K and was advised that they aint very good for 99-00's , dodgy MAFs

hth

daz
Old 27 October 2006, 08:18 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What dazza said but also a fuel pump, reg, big brakes, suspension, some guages and perhaps better tyres. Budget around £4-5k and expect feature creep. It ain't gonna be cheap - get over it!

F
Old 02 November 2006, 10:51 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, fuel pump.lol
knew i forgot summink
Old 03 November 2006, 10:23 PM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

Put it this way, you can forget the cheap idea. The guy I bought mine from spent over £20k to get 401bhp & 425ft/lb!
Old 03 November 2006, 10:31 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Including the car? If not he was well done.
Old 03 November 2006, 11:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Playsatan
Including the car? If not he was well done.
Why?
Gearbox, full engine rebuild, brakes, suspension, possably an ecu upgrade, radiator, intercooler, hoses, clutch, turbo.... all adds up
20k seems reasonable.

Tony
Old 04 November 2006, 12:02 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

ive spent over 2k on my STi Type R and its only hitting 306bhp (although it should be 360+)

its an expensive game this modding lark

Quick Reply: Chepaest way to get 400bhp out of a P1?