Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Are bearings and CV's the same on BDM and JDM cars?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2006, 09:17 AM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are bearings and CV's the same on BDM and JDM cars?

Was looking for some advice as i am not 100% sure on parts between BDM and JDM cars.

I have an MY99 STI V5 Type RA which has destroyed a rear wheel bearing and looks like it needs a new rear outer CV joint as well. So i contacted my local Subaru main dealer, explained the problem and what work is needed (deffinately a bearing and maybe the CV joint will need looking at) and they said that they would do the work and repair it for me.

However they have now stripped the back corner of my car and told me that the bearing was knackered and it looks like the CV joint needs replaced too, but it only comes as part of the rear drive shaft

Anyway i told them to get the parts and sort it as i want my car back asap, now here is the technical bit. They have told me they will only fit specifc Jap spec parts (bearing and shaft) which they may have to order for Japan and could take up to 6 wks . I told they just to use the same parts they would put on a P1, but was told they cannot garuntee they are the same so refuse to fit them, or do any more work until these 'jap parts' are obtained.

So i am now quite pi$$ed off as they have stripped my car and wont put it back together again......so if anyone can tell me that the uk parts for a P1 or other model are the same as the parts for my Import STI, then i can go in an kick off until they fit the parts i tell them to........not having my car with them for 6wks as nobody ever told me that they couldnt do the job, was promised my car would have only been in for a morning.......However when i complained and said i wanted a curtosy car i was told that i should have expected this, afterall i took a JDM car to a UK dealer........
Old 23 October 2006, 12:21 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just decided to phone API and thanks to David who managed to answer my questions on this, appears that the JDM cars have bigger bearings and shafts then the BDM cars, so cheers for that