Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

no drive in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 03:19 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no drive in any gear

Hello from sunny Cyprus

i need help!! on my way to compete in hillclimb this morning, managed to get about 500 metres from home when I lost drive while in second gear. I had just come around a roundabout and was gently accelerating as car was cold and it suddenly free revved. No noise, no bang, no nothing just acted like it was in neutral. I though at first that it had popped out of gear and tried to reselect but it was still in gear. Pulled over as no power to wheels.

Clutch works as per normal, gears can be selected but when applying power it just revs and does not move, as if it is in neutral.

The car has the following, Exedy twin plate clutch, PAR straight cut synchro gearbox, 4.44 diff ratios. Have checked under the car, no leaks of clutch fluid or oil, clutch makes same rattle when depressed and everything appears fine but the thing wont move. The car is in top condition and came off a second 2.2 ltr rebuild, new clutch and strip down of gearbox 5000 klms ago. No indications of any problems in daily driving or last two hillclimbs. Very unexpected!!

Got it towed to a local rally car mechanic as it was stuck on highway,(not easy at 8am on a Sunday morning) but would appreciate any feedback as unfortunately the level of expertise over here is not so great as I have found to my detriment.

I obviously got the lecture when I arived (walked) home.