Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 04:52 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am getting one of these little beauties.....

Where would be the best place for me to get this fitted and mapped up, I need to get a pukka job done.....

Who is the best? What power improvements have you seen after having a UniChip fitted?

Cheers people

Paul
Old 18 November 2001, 05:52 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Friday, I had my unichip installed/tunned by Vishu (Shiv Pathak). The car is a totally new machine. Engine tone even changed, Shiv thought I was trippen but he tunned my bro Andy's, He noticed the same thing. The car is a farking beast. Im running 15psi now, and OMG! But totally drivable, feels N/A really! He loaded my map friday(safe map). We made some runs to make sure there were no funky spots. I went out yesterday, he put the wide band O2 on the car, his OBD2 scan tool, and laptop. We made some runs and his 10min of thought (safe maps) were perfect! 11.2/1 afs everywhere on 15psi. Car runs like it's angry at the pavement! He even made part throttle and low end torque much better . The car is no longer a dog from a normal start. I wish you could no the beauty that is this tune.

It might help to know my mods I guess.

MY01:
Vf22 @15psi
Blitz DSBC
K&N panel
MRT top mount IC
BPM GT turbo back
Vishnu up-pipe
Denso Iridium plugs (IK22)
Cusco Catch can

Engine perf wise thats it, until my STI injectors come (565cc). Then it's time for more tunning and more boost.

Ken
Old 18 November 2001, 06:08 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Paul,

Although if you want to keep your car in the UK for fitting, it might be worth chatting with the guys down at Powerstation.

http://www.powerstation.org.uk

They are over in Cheltenham, but they have lot's of experience in Scoobs.

Cheers
Andy
Old 18 November 2001, 07:03 PM
john mcfarlane
Scooby Regular

Talking

I too may be interested what does this do I have an my98 with ppp how would the unichip help and what sort of dosh are we talking?
Old 18 November 2001, 07:15 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Speak to Tim Taylor, he will be selling his to buy the link. I am in no way saying that the Unichip is bad!!!

Dan
Old 18 November 2001, 07:23 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Danny - I was with Tim yesterday at PE, his power increases were not great, however, the driveablilty (is that a word) has been greatly increased, Tim also noticed that his car was not producing the boost it has been on the road......

Tim has made a wise choice by using the UniChip as a steppingstone to the link, it looks like he has realised the potential of tuning the management systems and is ready for the next level........ Although I would love to stick a link in, I am not a 'power-hungry beast' like Tim, I just want to smooth out the rev-range and improve the drive - and a little extra power cant hurt!

Cheers for the responses guys, any further thoughts....?

Paul
Old 18 November 2001, 11:10 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Paul,

All I can say is try the Unichip. Most people I know who have tried it have had positive results.

But make sure you know exactly what you are getting for the money. A few people I have come across have been upset it didn't give more power/torque/pull birds etc., but fail to understand that a computer doesn't add any of these things.

I.e. go in with your eyes open as to what a Unichip is and what it does. On the flipside, maybe look at what a MoTeC could do for you. For all I know, the MoTeC may be more suitable for your targets

I, of course, recommend talking to Powerstation.

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 November 2001, 11:28 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

I had Powerstation fit a Unichip and a HKS EVC4 boost controller to my MY00 on thursday.
I've been most impressed with the results. The power and torque figures were not sensational, but the driveability of the car has improved greatly. 3rd now feels like 2nd did and 4th feels like 3rd did...etc!
The blokes there really did seem to know their stuff about scoobs, and spent alot of time on the rollers making sure that the car was set up absolutly perfect!

Most impressed and will definatly go back for any further work, even though it is a 3 hour drive away.
It is good to take your car to a tuner that is eay to talk to about things on my level, rather than having them look down their noses at you.

All in all it cost about £1100. Money well spent if you ask me.
Old 19 November 2001, 11:51 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

A unichip install really costs £1100? I thought Unichip were planning to make their own boost controler quite a while ago, surely that would drop the cost a bit?! Just very suprised at that cost as there used to be a much more significant price difference between the Unichip piggyback ECU and a complete replacement ECU.
Old 19 November 2001, 11:58 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

I have a quote for a unichipp install - £250 inc vat

I have got the UniChip itself from another member on the BBS....

That sound about ok?

Cheers

P
Old 19 November 2001, 12:32 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Moray:

>>I thought Unichip were planning to make their own boost controler quite a while ago

They did. I have mine for 12 months now, so it's at least a year on the market. There was a very annoying problem with them though(they fried ), which has been solved about 5 months ago.

POC, I don't think you will see big differences if you don't change the boost ... there is only so much you can do with adjusting ignition timing & fuelling. Does your Unichip come with said boost controller ? If not, you might want to talk about that with your fitter. They can of course use a bleed valve, but I've never been too fond of that way of tuning.

Theo
Old 20 November 2001, 07:49 AM
fmimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Hi Folks

just to inform you that on the german Nürburgring, there is one company as well which can programm the Unichip solution.

I know that some of you guys often come to the RING and perhaps you want to have a look at that company...

http://www.boemanns.de/
http://www.boemanns.de/4-frameset.htm

We (The German-Impreza-GT-Club and Myself)have made very good experiences with Mr. Boemanns and his team.

Costs for installation and mapping of the Unichip: 2.500 DM ~ 800 GBP

Kind Regards
Frank :-)
Old 20 November 2001, 11:10 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Do I hear my name mentioned?

Power Hungry Beast

As Danny rightly says I've just brought a Link to replace my Unichip. The Unichip is good. I choose not to run an EVC because I'm tight The difference on the road is amazing. I normaly peak at 1.3 bar but only got 1.1 at PE last weekend for some reason so the power figures were only up a small margin from my previous run there earlier in the year. The driving on the road is much improved. I'm going to a Link so I can get more control of the fine points of mapping and also get more power and torque with built in boost controls provided by the Link.

Tim
Old 20 November 2001, 11:30 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Do I hear my name mentioned?

Power Hungry Beast

As Danny rightly says I've just brought a Link to replace my Unichip. The Unichip is good. I choose not to run an EVC because I'm tight The difference on the road is amazing. I normaly peak at 1.3 bar but only got 1.1 at PE last weekend for some reason so the power figures were only up a small margin from my previous run there earlier in the year. The driving on the road is much improved. I'm going to a Link so I can get more control of the fine points of mapping and also get more power and torque with built in boost controls provided by the Link.

Tim