Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2001, 09:29 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just poped into the halfords at cannock, sadi, hay mr halfords man, book my lovely sonic blue scoob in for one of them there downpipes i here the people on scoobynet talk about, and free fitting with that you young scamp.

He said? magnex? they dont make a scoob down pipe, and we dont do free fitting?

DOH

anyone know where i can call for some free fitting on some magnex downpipes, and do they just fit on, the chap thought i would need to change the whole system? Not the impreshion i got from here
Old 17 November 2001, 12:46 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Cool

You dont need to change the whole system... However I would advise you find somewhere that offers free fitting as its a bitch to do. And go somewhere that has experience! If you have a search over the last few weeks, a chappie had one fitted free at a Halfords and as myself, is well pleased.

MB
Old 17 November 2001, 12:41 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

That chappy was me Was well pleased with the pipe

Yes, Magnex do make a DP for the scoob and have done for a while, the latest is twin dump in design, the earlier ones were a single pipe. I went to the Halfords in Bracknell with a Ripspeed and AA Garage (as the AA has now taken the garage part over) and got it supplied and fitted for 179.99(all sorted at the Ripspeed counter). I dropped the car in at 8:15 and it was ready at 1:30. They had to cut a bit of the heatsheild and fiddle with a gearbox mounting bracket to get it to fit but in the end it went on. Was impressed with the job they do too considering peoples opinions of them.

Cheers
Neil
Old 18 November 2001, 11:16 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

This one was a rip speed, and he was sure they didn’t do it, presume that its just the Cannock branch, anyone know of a halfords that are definitely doing it?
Old 19 November 2001, 11:16 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Bracknell.

Bit of a drive though - phoned them to confirm the offer was still on last week and they said yes.
Old 20 November 2001, 12:05 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

COol, ill have to lookinto that.

How do yo ufind the downpipe? you feel ity made a diff to the car?

I wana take it to around the 260bhp mark so figured do teh zaust and induction, then maybe take it to some dudes who know their stuff to learn about mapping and ecu a little, nothing to heavy though.

WOuld the magnex be ok for this route? as im not going to head for monster bhp, with it being a uk turbo and all that.
Old 20 November 2001, 09:30 AM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Anyone,

The Magnex you guys are bangin' on about, is it the twin dump pipe or single?

Cheers
Daver
Old 20 November 2001, 11:23 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Dave,

The one I'm banging on about is the new style Magnex Downpipe and is a twin dump design.

Catflap,

The Magnex will be fine for that route - it is well built and the weld quality is excellent, a touch tricky to fit as I said but nothing too difficult. The full decat system and induction should show you 250-260bhp anyway from a MY99+ car. Scott W's is a MY00 wagon with full Scoobysport decat system and ITG filter, mines a MY99 saloon with standard filter and full Magnex decat and I can keep up with him, and maybe gain a little . His was dyno'd at 255bhp, so mine must be similar. Depends on the Model year really, think the gains are a fraction smaller on the earlier cars with 240-250 being common figures, although there are exceptions to the rule

As far as a difference - yes, its made a huge difference. Before I had the straight through centre and bb and then added the d/p. The noises are totally different, you'll hear a lot more noises, but thats normal - as Pete Croney said - they were always there, you just couldn't hear them before. The turbo starts to spool up about 1.5 - 2k and whistles away and then the mid range power is sooo much better, which is excellent for overtaking. Also the car now seems much more eager and pulls all the way to the red line where as before it tailed off quite noticably. Definately a must do mod

Hope that helps and good luck

Cheers
Neil.

Edited coz I forgot to answer your question

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 20/11/2001 11:28:03]
Old 20 November 2001, 11:53 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ARRRGG im going mad

Just got of fone to another (more local ) halfords/rip speed, he said NO mate dont do them, we are now taken over by AA, i sayz, yep i know that. DOH, he dident even have the item listed, presume its a new item though, as the magnex web site dont even show it.

Has anyone else had the dp fitted in a halfords, im starting to think this is a basingstoke thing only?, maybe il take a trip down there and have them do it for me.
Old 20 November 2001, 12:19 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bracknell in Berkshire, not Basingstoke..
Old 20 November 2001, 12:32 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You gonna let some muffing from Halfords touch your car

I've got the same downpipe, which I bought from Falkland Performance. My dealer fitted it at cost, as it takes 2hours. I’m amazed anyone will do it for free, especially as it only costs 180squids

If halfords do fit it, make sure they have spare turbo flange nuts and studs as they sometimes burr over or snap while removing them, and they are a right royal pain.

The only other thing with the D/P is the small stainless gearbox bracket must be fitted, but it needs modification to fit properly so the downpipe is at least 10mm away from a cross member near the centre section and runs in the middle of the tunnel. Its just a case of filing the hole larger.

And YES its fantastic when fitted, and not noisy at all, just a bit.

M
Old 20 November 2001, 01:02 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

where the hell did i get basingstoke from? LOL