Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Banging noise when changing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2006, 08:42 AM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banging noise when changing gear?

I know this question has been asked before but when i change up the box with vigour each gear change produces a load thump sounding like the exhaust banging against the underneath, if i "feather" the clutch only slightly i dont get any noise. I have been told to alter my driving style when in my sti type ra but cant quite help feeling something might be amiss, i owned a uk300 some years ago with ppp and that didnt do it anybody any ideas???
Old 24 September 2006, 11:37 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It'll be the rear diff winding up- coming off the clutch a little slower will save the shock through the transmission.
Old 24 September 2006, 02:33 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that but is this normal?
Old 24 September 2006, 04:29 PM
Generic User
Scooby Regular

It's possible the rubber surround on the propshaft support bearing has lost it's elasticity (age or oil contamination) or has split allowing the propshaft to "thump" against the support mounting when you apply shock loads via the clutch.
Old 24 September 2006, 05:02 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morto15
Thanks for that but is this normal?
yes
Old 24 September 2006, 05:44 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

It's the cross member or support (what ever you want to call it) at the front of the rear diff hitting the floor.

If you look under the car, infront of the rear wheels you will see it. It has a two vertically mounted rubber bushes (one either side) and a metal failsafe/ support plate underneath them with a large bolt through the centre.
When you change gear quickly or rather let the clutch out quickly it causes the rear diff to move in it's mountings, when the mounts get old or just through hard use they allow the cross member to move too far and it thumps into the floor. If you look closely you will see a sort of bump stop/cushion which will have marks on it from where the cross member has been hitting it.

There are a few options to sort this, dont let the clutch out so quick , buy some expensive uprated mounts, which will also transmit more road noise into the car or do what i did and make a couple of thick rubber washers from the hardest rubber you can find. Unbolt the cross member and slip the washers between it and the existing bump stop, and bolt it back up, if youve done it right the rubber washers should get squeezed slightly as you tighten the bolts back up.

Kenny