bad CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2006, 01:48 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad CV joint?

hello,

when I turn I hear a "pop" from the left front wheel and sometimes it looks like there is something loose under the car... thes it sound to be only a cv joint or something else?
Old 31 August 2006, 03:39 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Default Spooky...

...my MY00 is doing the same, and I was getting a juddering when turning to the right a small amount ie a very gentle right hand bend when the steering is just off-centre (if you know what I mean?). Turning sharper, and all is well again. The juddering seems to have stopped today after going to the airfield last night- very rough and bumpy roads.
I still can't trace it, but suspect a CV joint too. Car has only done 42K though, so I'm not so sure.

Si

--------
1st September

Quick update- no juddering now, but I've still got the 'pop' (more of a 'cluck'), so it could be worn bush somewhere. Could be the same on yours, cmpequeno...

Last edited by slimnotshady; 01 September 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01 September 2006, 06:02 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

I have new black alk, the 2 front wishbone front polybushes, drop links and the polybushes from the arb. already checked everything ( including the coil-overs ) and everything is correctly bolted.
sometimes it looks like there is something loose under the car but everything is secure... hope to be the cv joint, because I'm waiting for it to arrive ( and the wheel bearing and tein front top mounts ). can't think of anything else since everything is ok...

notice this after picking up the scooby at the mechanic, changed the cambelt, tensioner and bearings ( and the other belts ), fitted an oil cooler, new engine, gearbox and diferential oil and new A/C radiator.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:46 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

It does sound like a CV joint, but could also be brake pads shifting in the calipers, or a ball joint or suspension mount. It was easier to check CV joints before the days of LSD's when you could jack the car up, turn the steering one way and spin the wheel by hand.

Si
Old 08 September 2006, 11:04 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Most imprezas have an open front diff so you should still be able to check it this way, depends what model the thread starter has.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:07 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

I've boughta new cv joint, wheel bearing and tein front top mounts. if nothing works, I guess I have to buy the ball joint...
Old 15 September 2006, 10:29 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

spent the afternoon in the shop to change the cv joint, but it was diferent from the one in the car. my car has abs, but the teeth are in the discs and this cv joint also has those teeths... the mechanic decided to fit it anyway and in the end it was worse... even at 15 mph the car "shakes" a lot...
I ordered the correct part don't know why it's diferent... maybe the uk and euro versions are a lot diferent? the cambelt and tensioners went fine...
have to spoil another day in the shop.

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2006, 02:08 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

it looks like between the cv joint and shaft there should be a metal ring... the mechanic didn't fit it... problem found I think...
Old 20 September 2006, 02:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

there are 2 types of ABS setup on the classic imprezas

mine are not on the driveshafts or cj joints at all, sounds like you have crossed the 2 different types?