Potential Clutch Problem!?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 06:29 PM
aj_mackay1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Clutch Problem!?

hi guys,

my missus had to pull a car out of a ditch in the '99 2000AWD Scoob the other night, and she revved the car pretty damn high and eased the clutch out to get this car out of the hedge. Anyhow, there was a large cloud of smoke come out from under the car so we stopped immediately.

The car still drives normal, but now it judders pulling off in 1st and 2nd. Also, the dump valve that is fitted seems to dump at alot lower revs since. There is also no slipping in the higher gears either. She doesn't blast the car very often so i though it may just be a build-up of dirt being burnt off, but it was an awful large cloud

Could the clutch now be nears its demise?

Thanks guys.
Old 30 August 2006, 12:27 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've come to understand about AWD vehicles, if you ask the clutch to operate at high revs (eased or dumped) then it won't be happy because of the 4 wheels it needs to drive. Not such a problem with FWD or RWD where the pair of wheels will just spin until (if) they get traction.

Given that a clutch plate is just like a brake pad, more than likely a few thousand miles have been shaved off. A shame but don't panic just yet. The late UK Classic Turbo also seems to suffer with clutch judder a bit. It was suggested once (to me) that a number of drop-clutch pull-aways may cure this for a while.

See how you get on.

Jonts. (MY00 UK Turbo)