Power Mods for 01 WRX - advice required

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 11:53 AM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Mods for 01 WRX - advice required

OK without going OTT......
The car is a Dec 01 bugeye WRX with STI rear box, otherwise standard at 28K miles.
Handles like a dream, goes like stink until I put a passenger in it (OK so I have fat mates).
I'd like to boost the power with undetectable, cheapish mods that don't upset the fuel economy...... oh and a bunk up with Jenna Jamerson while you are at it....
Any advice ? on the car, none of you well adjusted people will have heard of Jenna I'm sure
Old 02 August 2006, 11:56 AM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

jenna jameson is nice, can i have a go once youve 'lubed her up'
Old 02 August 2006, 11:57 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

She's at mine, I'll send her round when i'm spent!!
Old 02 August 2006, 12:11 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

By "undetectable" do you mean so the wife doesn't notice?
Old 02 August 2006, 12:21 PM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Insurance really MT... wife won't mind/notice anyways...
Old 02 August 2006, 12:38 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

its a subaru, you arent going to get any mods without a change to the fuel economy, well, not that ive found anyway.

As for insurance detectable mods, is there any that arent? Go for a prodrive sports cat and a prodrive back box, make things flow a bit better. You should technically still tell them, but thats a choice you gotta make.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Insurance won't notice until you make a claim for a total loss from your hospital bed and are unable to get to the car to revert it to standard. Whatever you do, declare it otherwise your uninsured. A decent company like A-Plan or Keith Michaels won't skin you for minor stuff anyway. It simply ain't worth the risk Just imagine that an accident that you are blamed for results in 6-7 figure medical and compensation claims Can and does and may well happen.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:42 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Depends what your budget is.... if you can scrape up about £550ish then just go straight to a remap, no increase in noise, no physical difference, very difficult to detect and you will get the best performance gains.....
Old 02 August 2006, 12:42 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/newage-wrxs-post-t525664.html

www.scoobycity.co.uk
Old 02 August 2006, 12:49 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

If you want to keep things subtle i suggest something like a Magnex back box and a remap. a remap will actually give you better economy as the standard Subaru tends to run a bit rich as standard (so i've been told) thing is - you'll tend to put your foot down more
Old 02 August 2006, 12:57 PM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Cheers people.....

By re-map, would that mean a new chip or simply a different fueling map for the injection system (don't blind me with science pls)...?

I'm guessing its what Subaru do for the STI as I thought that had the same Turbo?

and Jenna is at my place now thanks, I have OMOM printed on my *rse (work it out)
Old 02 August 2006, 01:12 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

No WRX has TD04, STi has VF34 / 35, some older ones have TD05 turbo, not certain on when things changed....

Remap uses the standard Ecutek ECU on your car and they change some settings, primarily fuelling, boost and timing etc which results in an increase of power....

It also has the beauty in that for your year of car you will be able to get a "switchable" map which means you have a low boost setting for economy and "general" driving then a performance map which is for FUN!
Old 02 August 2006, 01:24 PM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Now THAT is great Chris, how do you switch the mapping?
Old 02 August 2006, 01:58 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Think it is usually related to double tapping the rear screen demister switch while holding the accelerator down...

Something along these lines anyway and you can request how "economic" you want the maps to be....
Old 02 August 2006, 07:31 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I'd also look to fit a de-cat up-pipe, as the up-pipe cats on the 01-02 are fairly constrictive. This is a mod that will only be spotted by someone who goes looking for it as the up-pipe is fairly well "hidden" within the engine. Whilst you're at it, porting the headers can't be detected without taking the thing apart, and also provides a few useful gains. Both of these would maximise how much benefit you get from your map.

As regards fuel economy, a full exhaust system and remap will not give any worse economy on a run or when driven gently. On some occassions, it will actually be a little better as the engine is running more efficiently. The fuel consumption will go up a lot if you use the extra power - you can't have the power for nothing!
Old 03 August 2006, 08:39 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisisII
OK without going OTT......
The car is a Dec 01 bugeye WRX with STI rear box, otherwise standard at 28K miles.
Handles like a dream, goes like stink until I put a passenger in it (OK so I have fat mates).
I'd like to boost the power with undetectable, cheapish mods that don't upset the fuel economy...... oh and a bunk up with Jenna Jamerson while you are at it....
Any advice ? on the car, none of you well adjusted people will have heard of Jenna I'm sure
MY 01 WRX EcuTEK Re-map, HKS Hybrid Panel Filter, 225 Fuel pump, 3 port boost controller and WR Sport BB. Still with the cat's and resonator fitted got 265 BHP/334 Nm at Powerstation. STi performance for half the price of PPP. Oh yeah I did get better MPG driving "Normally" Go on you know you want to!
Old 03 August 2006, 11:36 AM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Sounds a tempter indeed. Our local scooby tuner has some options. Power pack 1 looks like a goer, but I don't want to throw away the brand new STi back box that got fitted after I was rear-ended....

http://www.enginetuning.net/products...za_upgrade.asp