Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS EVC-4 and F-CON 5?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 11:37 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for your advice John.

I've already fitted my car with a full de-cat exhaust, induction kit, HKS fmic, and a HKS bov. Thats why my next plans were for a boost controller and perhaps even a remappable ECU, as with my present mods, my boost and fuelling are all over the show.

I think i'll take your advice and just fit a boost controller to start with. If this doesnt solve my problems, i can always get the re-map at a later date.

Thanx again

Steve

[Edited by Steve Fort - 11/3/2001 11:38:22 AM]
Old 11 March 2001, 12:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now you've said you've already got FMIC, I don't think my advice applies at all. Surely you need a full remap to take account of these significant mods and possibly a new turbo to make good use of the benefits of the FMIC?

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/uk/nito_morelli.htm - looks like you are heading this sort of direction with your car ?
But then again this car looks to be on std ECU!

[Edited by john banks - 11/3/2001 12:10:54 PM]
Old 03 November 2001, 01:13 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have anyone any experiences of these HKS gizmos?

I've been looking for an alternative to a Possumlink and have come across these 2.
The EVC-4 is an Electronic boost controller and the F-CON 5 is a remappable fuel/ignition computer.
I think that that'll cover and control pretty much the same areas as the link (i think!) and i can get them fitted by a good tuner, local to me, for roughly the same price as the full Link set-up.

Do these sound like good alternatives to you?
Any experiences or advice will be most welcome.

Thanx in advance,

Steve (UK MY00)
Old 03 November 2001, 09:39 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve just a thought - if you are going to consider later upgrades- eg turbo, front mount ic etc then the ability to alter your fuel/ign is obviously even more valuable.

However, some have had excellent results from just using a boost controller at 1.2 bar on the original ECU. With appropriate monitoring they have reported it as safe and performing well long term. To me the dyno results look similar to a full remap.

I already have an inducted decatted MY00 PPP and it is fabulous, but I reckon most of the gains come from the boost increase. Andy Tang added HKS EVC 4 to a similar setup and got power/torque well up there with the best UK cars (using original turbo and intercooler). When he took the PPP ECU out it was still fabulous apparently.

I am planning to add a Dawes manual boost controller to my setup, and from US posts there are huge power gains to be had for only $35. I think you've missed the group buy, but just an alternative to consider. The degree of boost control from these simple devices belies their value price, and it really does appear that they are almost as effective as an EBC, sometimes with FEWER spikes of overboost depending on who you believe.

www.dawesdevices.com

Aside from exhaust expenses, you could setup things pretty cheaply as long as you can then get a boost gauge (hopefully accurate) and some way of verifying correct fuelling.