Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

perfromance upgrades....

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 11:49 AM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfromance upgrades....

My bugeye WRX is currently running 285bhp (mods done below) but i was wondering if i bought a set of STI injectors, upped the boost a bit to compliment the new injectors, got a front mounted intercooler and got her re-tuned to sort all the mapping out with the new mods roughly what kind of BHP would i be looking at do you all think??

Answers on a post card please

Thank you

Current mods:
ECUtek ECU with custom map
Stainless steel de-cat,
Uprated MAF
Magnex downpipe,
Scoobysport up-pipe,
Scoobysport centre sections,
Scoobysport back-box,
Samco intercooler hoses,
Bailey Dump valve,
ENGINE IS PRODUCING AND BEEN DYNOD @ 285BHP

ECU was tuned by TSL performance
Old 19 June 2006, 12:02 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

From what i've read, about 300-310. But then you're on the limit of gearbox.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pinkladywales
My bugeye WRX is currently running 285bhp (mods done below) but i was wondering if i bought a set of STI injectors, upped the boost a bit to compliment the new injectors, got a front mounted intercooler and got her re-tuned to sort all the mapping out with the new mods roughly what kind of BHP would i be looking at do you all think??

Answers on a post card please

Thank you

Current mods:
ECUtek ECU with custom map
Stainless steel de-cat,
Uprated MAF
Magnex downpipe,
Scoobysport up-pipe,
Scoobysport centre sections,
Scoobysport back-box,
Samco intercooler hoses,
Bailey Dump valve,
ENGINE IS PRODUCING AND BEEN DYNOD @ 285BHP

ECU was tuned by TSL performance
I'd say that's about your lot on the std Turbo. Already a very good figure, but It'll vary depending on where you take it to be dyno'd. I'd save the money on the front mount, and upgrade the turbo to a VF34 or similar.

Ns04
Old 19 June 2006, 12:54 PM
AlexT
Scooby Regular

TBH your best bet would be to ditch the FMIC idea and use the money you'll save to go for a turbo change, VF34 or 35 and a larger TMIC. Personally I don't think a FMIC is worth the bother unless you're looking at in excess of 350BHP. Stick with STI Injectors, uprate the fuel pump and if you can afford it get a stainless manifold as well as the stock manifold is restrictive and the UpPipe has a cat.

All this should see you good for around 320-330BHP. If you can stetch to a 3" Exhaust System then you may well hit 340BHP.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:32 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

So if i put the STI injectors in, changed the fuel pump and got a stainless exhaust manifold then i should be looking at about 320bhp.......

Will i need that mapped as well??

Also maby for now like you said i was thinking of getting a stainless manifold....... seen them nice and cheep on ebay, can this just be bolted on or again will i need it mapped? and appox how much bhp will i gain with the manifold alone??? if it is as restrictive as you say.....

Heres a link to the manifold: Stainless manifold

And what kind of BHP will the gearbox be able to hold???

Last edited by pinkladywales; 19 June 2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:51 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Let me know what you all think.......
Old 19 June 2006, 02:10 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

no, you NEED to change the turbo to get any noticable difference now, the TD04 is just too small.

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2006, 02:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pinkladywales
So if i put the STI injectors in, changed the fuel pump and got a stainless exhaust manifold then i should be looking at about 320bhp.......

And what kind of BHP will the gearbox be able to hold???
IMHO No, it doesn't matter what else you do to the car now, the turbo is the limiting factor; I don't think a sustainable 320 is achievable on the std TD04 turbo. Maybe you'll get that figure on an "optimistic" RR, but it will be exactly that, a figure, nothing more. If you want a *real* 300+bhp you'll need to change that turbo. Andy F does a TD04 hybrid, or you can go with a VF Turbo from an STi.

I'd just be inclined to get your std headers ported and wrapped at your power levels.

As for the gearbox, how long is a piece of string? Some people have well over 300bhp/lbs ft on a std UK box and report no probs, other grenade themselves at stock power levels. How you drive the car is a big factor, obviously! Expert tuners have told me that low 300s are fine (no mean feat given that 300+ is getting on for 50% more than std bhp/torque) providing the car is driven sympathetically. Any more than that and it's gearbox Russian Roulettle!

Check with the experts, cause I'm certainly not one, but I think they'll all be saying that you need to look at your turbo!

David at Api has helped me draw up my modification plans, have a word with him- Top bloke!

Ns04
Old 19 June 2006, 03:03 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

So is it pointless me putting a stainless manifold on there now then???

As i cant afford to upgrade the turbo yet..... as ive got a holiday to magaluf coming up in summer

Will it give me any gains/run better with it on insted of the restrictive stock one....
Old 19 June 2006, 03:34 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if you can afford to buy a stainless manifold, then im sure you can afford to buy a second hand VF35....they are only 250-300 quid for an average milage one....and will give you a bigger benefit than the manifold with your current set up.
Old 19 June 2006, 04:03 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

but then its the upgrades from there on that get expensive........ will need a remap for the new turbo etc....

Would i need bigger injectors? fuel pump? internals?

But what kind of BHP would i be looking at with a properly mapped VF35?? is it worth spending the extra cash??
Old 19 June 2006, 04:08 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if your worried about the future stuff then TBH you may want to steer clear... the injectors will need doing anyway, fuel pump id hope you would already have one at 285bhp, dont worry about the internals. If its mapped correctly then the internals are fine, there are plenty of people running well over 300 on a standard WRX block.
Old 19 June 2006, 04:10 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

AAAAAAAAAAAa good good...... thanks for all the help its really usefull.....

Just seen this on ebay now........ what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-WRX-STI-V...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 19 June 2006, 04:16 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

nah get one from this country at least that way it wont get buggered in transit...there are usually a fair few that sell on here for far less than that anyway.
Old 19 June 2006, 04:19 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Nice one........ if i do go down the road of bigger turbos and injectors etc....... wich i really think i might do at the mo........

Where would be the best place to take her to get mapped? it was mapped @ TSL last time....... and they have done a spot on job, just wondering like where else or should i just go to TSL.....

Thank you
Old 19 June 2006, 05:00 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if your happy with their work, then go back there, it will most likely be the most cost effective route.
Old 19 June 2006, 05:34 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Just to give you some idea "pinklady" my UK Classic was extensively modified and I had no problems running 330/300 through the standard internals and gearbox.

Absolute max I could get out of the TD04 turbo was 294 bhp. Ended up going for the TD05 FE and kept the standard 380 injectors. Did have to get a FPR when I had the car remapped with an Apexi Pcf to get a little more fuel through but on the new turbo i got 330 bhp with supporting mods.

I now have an sti8 which was mapped by TSL. To be honest I'll only use Andy Forrest for future mapping now but this is just down to personal preference.

I have a VF35 coming off the car this week to make way for my new 18G turbo. Its done 18k miles and will be looking for £300.00. I do have an interested party who has a first shout on it but I'll give you a shout if it doesn't go through. I'd personally stop away from buying a turbo on ebay and stick with the ones that come up for sale on here. Just gives you that added piece of mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:33 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

so i should be ok by bolting on a VF35 and remapping thats the short of it yeah?? and hopefully be looking at about 330bhp

Hmmmmm sounds good.

So the current injectors in a WRX scooby are 380cc ones yeah??

18G..... very nice!
Old 19 June 2006, 08:43 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

yep they are, 380cc, the sti ones are 505~ so will give you some headroom.
Old 19 June 2006, 08:57 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

theres that much difference?? wow thats pretty big.

Will invest in the STi Injectors when i go to buy the turbo....... be fun having that much power.

Is it a good idea to get a stainless manifold as well......just to have the gases go strait out without any restrictions.....

Plus im guessing it should pop nicelly with the decat and the stainless system.......
Old 19 June 2006, 09:09 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

theyre pretty small compared to some, but they will be enough for what you need

not a huge need to splash out on a stainless manifold at this stage, unless you really want to. The cast one isnt too bad. Could just get that ported instead.

Should pop a little yeah
Old 19 June 2006, 09:20 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

As Neilo says before rather than the stainless manifold why dont you go down the ported route.

Before I had anything done to my car I researched all the pros and cons for over two months. Problem with modifying is you hear so many conflicting stories.........this is better than that..........you must have this if you want to get that.......you get the picture.

I wanted the stainless headers with FMIC etc but in the end was offered sound advice. It would have been far easier to listen to some on here and start splashing the cash. I've gone for the 18G turbo from Andy Forrest; ported and wrapped headers from Harvey with supporting up pipe; 3" cat back exhaust system including RCM downpipe (again wrapped) and a panel filter. With the remap 370-380 should be achieveable (already have the fuel pump fitted as part of the ppp). The TMIC on the sti is good for 400 and my injectors should easily cope.

Mapping on the 01.07.06 so fingers crossed......................
Old 19 June 2006, 09:31 PM
pinkladywales
Scooby Regular

Aye good luck with that mate...... be interesting to see.....

Yeah my mates just put a manifold on his RS focus and my other mate put one on his puma engines fezzy and they saw good gains.......

The RS has been gains of about 15% soabout 25bhp with what hes got set up on it.....

Just wondered if theres point in me buying one to see if i could get good gains and i love it when my scoobys pops...... lovelly sound.... so if i could get her to pop more...... then ace....
Old 21 June 2006, 01:41 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'd steer clear of the ebay £200 manifolds. I want a new one myself but am keeping well away as I've heard of them falling apart pretty quickly. IMO it's worth paying the extra for quality that arn't going to give you hassle every week.

Have your original manifold ported at this sort of level. Harvey is the man to speak to about this I hear.

As said, your turbo is close to it's limits and so are your injectors.

The turbo choises for cheap would be 2nd hand.. TD05fe, VF34 or VF35. The first 2 are quite similar with the 05 being better up the top end and the VF34 is roller bearing for good response. The VF35 has a smaller exhaust side so is limited in top end power (330-340bhp max) although it's a good responsive turbo.

The one you linked to on EBay was a VF39 and won't fit on your car.

Fuel pump should have been changed already I hope, and imo so should the fuel press regulator (mine failed with the big pump).

If you can find a good priced one, STI8 intercooler, scoop and (scoop) splitter will get you that little extra.

All of the above mapped well should see you a solid 340bhp. More if you add headers but I would advise against it for cost vs. gain at the moment. One of the things to do when your bank balance recovers I see you already have a de-cat up-pipe so that should help anyway.

I am one of a few people who have been running considerably more power than this on the std uk (classic) gearbox. Personally for about 10K miles without trouble, I am sympathetic with it though. I don't see the bugeye one being any weaker.

Dave