Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6 speed or standard or refurb - Type R

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 01:44 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed or standard or refurb - Type R

First service yesterday of my type r version 6 confirmed that the gearbox is probably on its way out. Its notchy 4th to 5th and grinds, although not when cold which seems odd?? Selecting 1st can also be notchy as well, although that seems to have 'cured' itself. Service found 'filings' on draining the gearbox oil - which with the test drive brought about the diagnosis.

I have a chance of replacing the type 5 box with an 'electric' 6 speed plus diff for around £4k all in including labour and vat. Or do I replace with a new 5 speed box, or go for a refurb unit or just get the box stripped and repaired. Although I like the idea of the 6 speed box, surely that will deflect from the point of having a type r in the first place as the DCCD will vanish?? - hopefully that makes sense.

Any advice appreciated. Also does £4k for a 6 speed sound excessive?

The car is superb though and goes like a bomb, so i am not thinking of selling on. Just want the best advice and it seems a shame to ruin the uniqueness of the type R at this point in time.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:15 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO:
I have spent ages going through a similar 'process'.
4K sounds expensive. the box/diff can be had for £1500. Fitting a lazy day for an experienced subaru mechanic.
If you keep the engine stock, then have the box you have refreshed.
Call David at www.apiengines.com

They can rebuild, or supply fit a 6 speeder.

I think you will regret loosing the DCCD and the ratio's of the Type R. These are part of the car's character and you clearly appreciate them. So keep them!

As I say, just my 2 peneth to you.

I have an Sti v3 mild mods to engine etc, about 400bhp and I'm waiting for the box to 'pop'....

The ultimate.
Rebuild the box with your DCCD and a ppg gearset, semi helical and synchro and never worry about the box again.
Again API can do this or ZEN Performance who supply the kits can do it all.

API are in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, and ZEN are over in Wellington I think, Northhamptonshire , (sorry if I'm wrong Paul).

Graham
Old 31 May 2006, 07:52 PM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

Any engine mods mate?
Your current/future output levels may dictate which way to go...TypeR gear boxes are supposed to be quite strong Does it do it only on quick changes or every time?

£4k for a box sounds quite a lot. A PPG rebuild should leave you with some change from £3k. (APi, Zen and Scoobyclinic are good starting points)

And although you garage is right that "filings" in the oil is not a good sign (indicates wear on the syncros/gears), before going to a rebuid, I'd try changing the gearbox oil to a shockproof one and see how it goes.

If it is only crunchy when warm, this might cure it/extend its life a bit further. No harm trying it before forking out for a rebuild.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:27 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

car is unmodded apart from decat, but I havenever driven a car like it - it seems unbelievably quick - much more than my evo fq330 even. I absolutely love it - and after 2 p1s i didn't think i would ever say that.

its going down to wincanton tuning centre next week for a second opinion. Its usually quick change only 4th/5th, only when warm, and most other changes` seem fine.

a lot of people seem to rate api, so maybe thats the next step after wincanton

thanks for the replies
Old 31 May 2006, 10:30 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

sorry - whats shockproof oil and where can i get it from??
Old 31 May 2006, 11:33 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

I'd go for a rebuild... Mine will need doing at some stage as 4th and 5th are abit cruchy... I'll just drop the box off with Teg Sport.... get them to rebuild it using some good second hand parts... then see how long it lasts again... after my engine rebuild... I'd like to just get the chance to drive it again...
Can't justify chucking a 6 speeder in yet... over spent on engine... lol, its easily done...
Old 01 June 2006, 07:30 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought overspend only applied to me...

The ebay Type R box claimed to have ''the wider gears for 3rd and 4th'' is this true?
Also, i thought the Type R had ratios between the manic RA and the cruiser Sti, but i don't think so.

I still think a ppg rebuild is the best route, but it is £3K ish.

Graham

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2006, 12:17 PM
charlesk
Scooby Regular

For that sort of power, the stock TypeR box should be fine.
A decent rebuild is the only long term solution (with the right gear oil used/replaced on regular basis).

A shockproof oil might allow you to "hide" the problem for a while, until you get funds sorted for the rebuild.

They are oils designed for boixes operating at the limit of their design capacity, and remain more stable at high temp. They also have greater film strength that protect the g/b under extreme pressure and better thermal capacity. They do however tend to be a bit thicker than a normal GL4/5 and hence maybe robing you of a bit of power...
See below for an example:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=RED58404
Old 02 June 2006, 09:32 AM
TURBO RAY
Scooby Regular

hello ive got just over 300bhp in a classic broke a couple of 5 speed boxes in a short time so got a salvaged sti 7 and put gearbox rear axle and all the brakes havnt looked back very good gearbox . but your one is a differant car i think rebuild yours unless you never use the dccd
Old 02 June 2006, 10:41 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 911
I thought overspend only applied to me...

The ebay Type R box claimed to have ''the wider gears for 3rd and 4th'' is this true?
Also, i thought the Type R had ratios between the manic RA and the cruiser Sti, but i don't think so.

I still think a ppg rebuild is the best route, but it is £3K ish.

Graham
The box on the ra and type r are one and the same with identical ratios for both cars of that year. Fifth gear equates to 20 mph/1000revs.
Old 02 June 2006, 09:39 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

a big thanks to Graham and all at TSL today. Car was in for lights, firestorm and gauges and I took advatage of Grahams advise on the gearbox issue. Rebuild or second hand box seems to be the sensible solution but he dosn't seem to think its that bad from what he could see on the test drive. More syncro issues than anything else and certainly the advice was to avoid the 6 speed as you ultimately detract from one main reason why people buy a type R.

Wish all companies were run like TSL - first rate all round and a great day out.
Old 06 June 2006, 09:47 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I fitted a jap spec 6 speed to my type r retaining the dccd. £1500 for a low mileage example which included the front shafts and rear diff, Whole thing fitted in 4 hours. recommended!
Old 07 June 2006, 07:53 PM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

I paid £2100 to have a 6 speed supplied ( box, auto prop and 3.9 rear diff) and fitted. This included a bit of machining to allow the starter to fit and a small mod to the rear diff.

Nathan
Old 07 June 2006, 10:14 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my box is very noisy on my '93 WRX, and I've fallen for the idea of a sti 6 speeder with DCCD. Realistically whats this going to cost me to buy, just the bits? Will it stand up to any serious power? I'm happy with what I'm running at present (about 280 bhp with minor mods) but work is going well and I've already invested so much TLC into my car that within the next 12 months I'm going to drop a pretty hefty engine into the car(looking for 450bhp/450lbft). Will a sti 6 speeder handle this? Are all 6 speeders the same or are some stronger than others?
cheers
will