Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wrx gearbox and power

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2006, 12:35 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx gearbox and power

In the process of gathering parts for my my03wrx. Am currently on 280/280 but will soon be above 350/350 with a bit of luck. Now I know the gearbox will soon be leaving so some prevention is the way to go.

I dont want a 6spd as I think the 5spd ratios are better. Less changing and 70 in second, 100 in third......

Plus an sti box weighs more than the missus. It would be like driving with her in the car all the time! well not quite....
No point in boosting the power to then add loads more weight.

So is it possible to fit some better gears in the existing box? Don't want straight cut as I have to go on the motorway. I basically want the same gears but stronger. And what are we talking cash wise? Will I have to sell the missus? Maybe the kids, not sure I'd get enough from her...
Old 28 May 2006, 06:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont worry about the extra weight of the 6 speed box, as for going though the gears I prefer the 6 speed over the 5 speed for several reasons (and the fact ive got 356lbs of toque ), they are geared nicely to provide you with driving around town in 5th gear (25mph, jdm box) they are heavier, mainly because they are a considerably stronger construction and no matter what you do with the 5 speed, it wont be as strong as the 6 speed.
You could keep the 5 speed and just keep the torque down, that way you would ensure that your gearbox may not break, though my STi is lighter than the new age wrx's, and considering my car is a new age.....

Tony
Old 28 May 2006, 07:16 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Have a look HERE not cheap though
Old 28 May 2006, 07:23 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Originally Posted by Tuts
70 in second
You sure?

If you do end up going 6sp go for the UK box over the JDM, 5th and 6th are far too short.
Old 28 May 2006, 08:03 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Yeah it will do 70, just. Same with 100 in 3rd.

Not something I do very often as it means going into the red (I can because of the remap, the limit is higher than standard).

It is close enough though where as with an sti box it wouldn't even reach 60 in second.

9.4mph per 1000rpm, so you nip into the red and there you go.

Sti box 7.8mph per 1000rpm so the same speed would be nearly 9000rpm!!

Not something I do really, was more of an illustration that the wrx box has better ratios when you have plenty of torque because you need less rpm for the same speed (it just doesnt have the strength). Hence the question about keeping the ratios.

Is the sti box case any stronger? I didn't think it was, thought it was just heavier because of more/stronger internals. Don't think you would need to worry about destroying a wrx case because of power, just the internals. Might be wrong though.

Thanks for the link granby. V expensive though.......anyone know of any other options or cost wise is 6 spd the best?

Last edited by Tuts; 28 May 2006 at 09:24 PM.