Funny noise from Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2001, 09:52 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hi guys.

Just got home tonight and as I pulled up I noticed a strange noise comming from the engine. Sounds a bit like something rubbing/grinding!! I switched off and took a look around but could not see anything amiss and there were no leaks anywhere. I moved the car into the garage and took a longer look with the engine running. It sound like the cam-belt cover is rubbing against something. Maybe a pully or the belt itself. However, this is what worries me, could it be one of the cam bearings failing? When I was looking around the noise stopped for a few moments, and the enigne sounded fine. Then it started again. I moved the cam belt case around a bit, near where I could hear the noise, and it stopped, then started again. Moveing it again did not stop it again, so probably a co-incedence (sp?)

Any ideas? I'm going to ring the garage tomorrow to try and get it looked at ASAP. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's only the cam belt cover, but fearing something worse.

Can anyone help it suggesting what it could be?

Cheers
Old 26 October 2001, 10:24 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I had a grinding noise and I too thought it was coming from the cam belt area. However I thought I'll take this one step at a time and decided to spray some WD40 on the alternator, airco, driving belts and the noise left. The noise had me fooled. No way I thought. But it was. Try it and see if this is the case.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 27 October 2001, 09:42 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

get it checked out because there is a guide on the corners of the pullys now to prevent the belt from jumping a tooth but the off side top pully guide is usally set to low and with heat expansion the belt catches it and it takes chunks of the belt out which would eventually snap. an easy way to see for your self is to take the nearside cover off coz it's the easiest one to get at and look at the belt if you can see any marks on it or gouges get it to your dealer and get a new belt put on and get them to reset the guide they should have a special tool to do it
Old 27 October 2001, 01:24 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks guys,

I had another listen today, and now I think the noise is coming from the main crank area at the front near the main pully. I've got it booked in to the garage on Tuesday, so it's staying home until then. I can hear something that sounds like it's rubbing somewhere, but there's also a more harsh sound as well. I just hope it's nothing serious
Old 27 October 2001, 02:28 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had a rubbing/grinding sound as you describe and it was the cambelt. Not the first time the garage had come across it if I remember correctly. Bloody awful noise but very easily sorted. It was an MY00 by the way.

Good luck.

Otis.
Old 27 October 2001, 02:45 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Otis,

Thanks. That's made me a little happier. Yes, it does sound pretty awfull. I just hope it sounds worse that it is..
Old 27 October 2001, 04:15 PM
M11
Scooby Regular

Ask the garage to check the crankshaft pulley to see if the centre bolt has worked loose because the happened to mine.

I ended up having to have a new crank pulley as it knackered the woodruff key guide, but you might be lucky and it just needs tightening.

Please don't think I'm scare mongering it's just an idea.

Neil

Trending Topics

Old 28 October 2001, 09:41 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

I know it's difficult to say, given the limited info you have, but would you say that it would be safe to drive the car to the garage (about 10 miles)?
Old 29 October 2001, 08:58 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not sure if this is the same as the noise I'm getting, sounds similar. I've only had chance to try to locate it once and it didn't seem to be coming from anywhere in particular, possibly the turbo area if anything, rather than from the front of the engine. Anyhow, the sound I'm hearing has started the last couple of mornings (which have been particularly cold btw) on a cold start.

The noise sorta sounds like someone walking on gravel except not quite so coarse, and seems to occur at about half the rate of engine speed. The noise gets less prominent until after about 5 minutes when it's totally gone away.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Whip
Old 29 October 2001, 12:09 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Whip,

No, not the same problem as mine (what ever it is). Mines difinitly coming from around the front near the main pully. Pretty sure it's just something loose that's now catching, but it's booked into the garage tomorrow so should know then... I think I'll take it nice and easy driving to the garage. High gear, cost in nuetral on the down hills and switch off at traffic lights...
Old 30 October 2001, 03:10 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just spoke to the garage. It's the water pump that's gone. That's not a big problem in itself, but the bummer is that there's a coolent leak that has contaminated the cam belt and that needs to be replaced as well. I only had it replaced a few months back!