Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best full exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2001, 04:03 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I currently have a standard exhaust apart for the back box which is ScoobySport. The back box is too boomy/droney at motorway speeds (I need to use the car for work and do about 15k on motorways) and the heat sheild on the down pipe has started to rattle.

I am thinking of replacing the whole lot (manifold, down pipe, centre and back box) and wonder if anyone has any suggestions/experience? (I would like to go for a system with cats so it passes the MOT without hassle).

Tom
Old 25 October 2001, 10:34 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice would be to keep the stock centre section and just do the downpipe, that gives you the greatest effect, but without the noise levels of a full system.
Ron,
ps, should pass mot with centre cat only, (I hope)
Old 25 October 2001, 11:50 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Revolution in Gateshead do the full system your after which is not as loud as most big exhausts ive heard and give around 25 bhp plus on a uk car and up to 35 bhp plus on an Sti. Price is around the 500 mark which is quite a deal. Give Glenn a ring on 0191 477 0785 or fax 0191 477 0794.
Old 26 October 2001, 12:14 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Hi Green Scooby, who's exhaust system is it? And when you say 'not as loud' does that still mean its loud? I have read that the Remus back bax is the best bet for keeping it quiet... with a BPM or a Magnex downpipe and centre section... have I been misinformed?
Old 26 October 2001, 08:18 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried the Power Engineering full system?
Old 26 October 2001, 11:07 AM
netclectic2
Scooby Regular

i am also looking to replace the exhaust system on my '93 wrx and am considering going for the Graham Goode system with catalyst.

grahamgoode exhaust

[Edited by netclectic2 - 10/26/2001 11:10:25 AM]
Old 26 October 2001, 11:25 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Now the question is:

To pass the MOT do you go for a CAT in the centre section and not in the down pipe, a CAT in the down pipe and not in the centre or do you need two CATs to pass the MOT?

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2001, 11:30 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone tried the Graham Goode full exhaust with catalyst on a MY99/00? They are available here in Greece but need to know how good they are?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 26 October 2001, 05:29 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Old 26 October 2001, 08:53 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Necromax, I'm about to have the full Revolution system fitted, as soon as they some in stock again, and I'll let all know how loud it is compared to the stock system.

Cube.
Old 26 October 2001, 08:56 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have the PE full system.
loud in a good way,sexy noise!!
i like it anyway,plus decent power too.
what more could you ask for?

stevie
Old 26 October 2001, 09:03 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

I too had the full PE exhaust. At first I thought it was a bit loud but I had the single rear pipe which is louder than the twin (so they said?!). If you are interested I've got tyhe T75 twin dump downpipe and de-cat centre section for sale as I've now sold the Scoob.
I want 200 quid for the downpipe and 100 for the centre.
If you're interested email me.
Cheers
Steve
Old 27 October 2001, 12:44 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Thanks Cube, appreciate any input you can provide
Old 27 October 2001, 02:49 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

GreenScooby

35bhp and 25bhp on a UK

Whats absolute twaddle. Amazing what some tuning places say. I have the full BPM system, which is one of the most powerful exhausts you can get. I would say its probably added about 10bhp tops

What they do give is lower down significant torque imporvements, with some getting big gains, i.e 40lbs at lower revs - but peak torque, ie at 4000 rpm is a little higher - say 10lbs. Again u do pick up higher bhp lower down - but not peak bhp at higher revs

If the Scoobysport is too loud, you certainly dont want a BPM as in comparison I dont even think I'd notice the Scoobysport on the Motorway!

So
If you dont want the boom that counts out:

BPM (costs about £1k anyway for full system)
HKS - another loud system (not as loud as BPM)
Blitz - loud, but they normally come with a bung for quieter motorway driving
Mongoose - loud as well

You could try the Scoobymania - this is a little bit quieter than the Scoobysport - and is about £580 inc Vat I think

If u want a system that will give u a bit more grunt you need a free flowing system, as any obstacles will reduce the power - like a Cat
You also want a 3 inch system - this is supposed to be best - and not say a 2.5 inch downpipe mating to a 3 inch system.

The cheapest company is 'long life' exhausts in Cardiff and Bristol. They will make u a system to your requirements in Stainless Steel and u will not find cheaper - u tell them u want a quieter back box and they will make it for u. Full system fitted should be around the £500 mark I guess - could be less

Some garages say u need some restriction for a bit of back pressure or u can lose power. Total pants I'm afraid - u want no backpressure at all - hence the reason people port the manifold headers to minimse gas restrictions in the system.

Re the MOT on an import u dont have a center Cat - well not on my sti5 anyway. I'm not too aware of many aftermarkets systems having a Cat - that said I have heard that there are systems where you can replace a freeflowing center pipe with a cat system - u need to ring around

I have a freeflowing system and will pass the MOT........ (thats all I'll say)
Old 27 October 2001, 10:05 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Don't be so sure... (just read your response to Secret Agent Man too )

I have a graph to prove my full decat Magnex, with a K&N, on a UK car has produced 260 BHP at 14psi. (on a very accurate road)

I think 25 BHP is very realistic for a full de-cat and if you look at every result on the dyno page, I think this will be verified.

As for the BPM being the "most powerful" on what basis is that? If it is because it's bigger, there is a point where being too un-restrictive can be have the opposite result... Not saying that the BPM is, but most aftermarket pipes give near enough the same HP result.

MB
Old 28 October 2001, 10:46 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Hmm....most powerful exhaust?
In my opinion i would think there is not much to choose between them. I don't think you could really tell if one complete de-cat system is more powerful than another, though certainly some systems can give you the impression they are more powerful cause of the sound they make. But what I would look at is whether you want a 2.5" or 3" system.
How far do you want to mod your car? If it's over a period of time and you want to go ***** out, then go for a 3" system. If you don't fancy spending shedloads of money at your scoob but just want an improvement with the car relatively standard, then you'll be happy with the 2.5" system.
Once decided on that, all ya gotta choose is do you want round, oval, 3", 4", 6"x4" etc.

A

P.S. I run a full Revolution system.....pretty loud, you'll get noticed....and you can't have a conversation in the car above about 3, 3 1/2 thousand revs if you're flooring it.

[Edited by AlanG - 10/28/2001 10:49:05 PM]
Old 28 October 2001, 11:00 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Don't know much about the best downpipe/mid arrangement, but if it's possible to vaguely get the idea of the 'throughput' of a backbox by the engine being able to rev freely at the top end (I presume this is a good indication - standard BB power starts to go considerably earlier than the SS with my totally non-scientific method at available hoosh versus the rev counter needle), and a quiet running system is what's being talked about here, the Remus one seems to work well. It is impertceptably (think I lost the spelling there) more restrictive than the SS one using my 'method', and is quiet on the motorway. Well, quiet most of the time really; nice throb at low rpm, though...
What about the mid/dp though? Isn't it likely that they'll all add about the same amount of noise, seeming they're 'just tubes' (relative to the BB, anyway).
Old 29 October 2001, 09:13 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Bennet

Do you have the figures before the stuff was fitted

''on a very accurate road''

So I take it you've had the engine out and had it bench dyno'd then. Just like my claim that BPM is one of the most powerful - ok not provable and I do agree with your point that ther probably isn't much difference overall

However I dont know whose rollers are the most accurate... as I have not had mine bench dyno'd - only those who have done this can claim whose is the most accurate... as they have a bit more knowledge on the subject
Old 29 October 2001, 08:23 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi AlanG,

Noticed your comments re: the Revolution system, you don't have any comparisons with other aftermarket systems do you, for instance the Magnex or Scoobysport systems in terms of noise?

Cube.
Old 29 October 2001, 08:50 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Having read a number of different threads, I'm considering the Remus backbox, coupled to the Magnex downpipe and centre... a balance of a better flow, bit of extra power, but without the excessive noise levels
Old 29 October 2001, 09:14 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Cool

i have scorpion system with std d.pipe it quiet when it needs to be and very loud when driven hard, which i think is the best of both worlds. its quite cheap for a s.s system mine cost me about £300 i think a d.pipe is another £100 on top that. cannot comment on the down pipe though.
Old 29 October 2001, 10:28 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve,

Yes I have some before figures, with just the rear box and mid, no induction kit. 232 BHP.

With DP and Filter 260BHP. I see your point and agree a lot of road results are suspect but a before and after is the best way to judge.

MB

Old 30 October 2001, 07:26 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Cube,
I've only heard the full scoobysport system on a MY01 car and was pretty quiet compared to the Revolution system. Don't know about this exhaust on the old shape Impreza, though i can't see there being much difference.
My mate had the Blitz on his Impreza at one point and it was way too loud for my liking.
I suppose the Revolution isn't too bad and the neighbours haven't fallen out with me!!

A
Old 30 October 2001, 09:21 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Sorry folks

Would appear from a few rr's that I've seen you do get an increase in peak power of over 20 bhp - just did'nt get that on mine!

Perhaps I should switch to a UK car!
Old 30 October 2001, 10:30 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

LOL,

start lower to get a bigger increase. I like your theory steve.

Bang per buck does go up a lot, shame the bang isnt very loud.

I wold tend to agree that the bpm is one of the more powerful systems.

On the basis that when switching to it from other makes, wehad to add fuel to keep the air fuel ratio correct.

I ahve settled on my scoobymani and am more than happy.

Ironically I think you will find the BPM comes with a hi flow cat. The aus fines for emissions are high, so when you get them, you have to specify if you dont want a cat.

As a result, I now have a spare 3inch mid section with with a cat, as the price with a straight through was only $100 aud (£33ish) cheaper. I then went and bought the sm mid section as it was the cheapest three inch mid section with no resonator crap in it.

I couldnt handle he volume of the BPM twister back box, so now I am happily running a scoobymania!