clutch my03 sti

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 08:35 PM
nec
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch my03 sti

Hi all

driving on the motorway yesterday and i noticed that when i am in 5 or 6 gear at around 3500rpm ish and put my foot down the rev cont went up to 4700 rpm then back down then back up

it flet as if the clutch was slipping. It doesnt seem to do it in lower gears when taking off fast

i do get a clutch smell but that seem's to be a common prob

from what i understand subaru have upgraded the clutch's

any info would me much appreciated

Neil
Old 09 February 2006, 09:13 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately sounds like clutch slip. Theres a lot of resistance to the power input from the engine in the higher gears, so slip would be more noticable. How many miles on the clock?
First thing is to check for a little bit of pedal movement before it starts moving the pushrod to the master cylinder. You should'nt get much smell after the first few thousand miles.
JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 09 February 2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:14 AM
nec
Scooby Regular

nice one john i have done 42000 what clutch would you recommend i was think of a new light weight flywheel

the will be about 350bhp by the end of this year so a clutch that ready for the upgrade
Old 09 February 2006, 12:40 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nec
nice one john i have done 42000 what clutch would you recommend i was think of a new light weight flywheel

the will be about 350bhp by the end of this year so a clutch that ready for the upgrade
You need one of our Exedy organic Performance clutches. £380.00 + VAT for the 3 part set [ includes release bearing ]. We have them taking big horsepower and no judder, no slip, perfect to drive and easier to operate.

Lightening a flywheel on a 6 speed car is not easy, as the original only weighs just over 8 Kg's and the recommended weight [ by me ] is 7Kg. Not worth the effort. Less than 7 Kg is too light.

We can fit ' while you wait ' - by appointment too, if you want to give me a call for a booking. Or if you are far away we can mail order one to you for your local choice to fit. I see you are in Northampton ?? we are 35 mins away just past Daventry.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 09 February 2006, 12:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by APIDavid
You need one of our Exedy organic Performance clutches. £380.00 + VAT for the 3 part set [ includes release bearing ]. We have them taking big horsepower and no judder, no slip, perfect to drive and easier to operate.

Lightening a flywheel on a 6 speed car is not easy, as the original only weighs just over 8 Kg's and the recommended weight [ by me ] is 7Kg. Not worth the effort. Less than 7 Kg is too light.

We can fit ' while you wait ' - by appointment too, if you want to give me a call for a booking. Or if you are far away we can mail order one to you for your local choice to fit. I see you are in Northampton ?? we are 35 mins away just past Daventry.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
I have the above, from the above I can whole-heartedly vouch for both!!

NS04
Old 09 February 2006, 12:58 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I have the above, from the above I can whole-heartedly vouch for both!!

NS04
NS04 Thanks You're still in the points lead for the 2006 ' voluntary APi staff member award '

David APi
Old 18 February 2006, 11:00 PM
nec
Scooby Regular

just an update went to see dave (api) this friday picked my clutch up (plus some other goodies) geat place would recommend to anyone

nice one
Old 19 February 2006, 04:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks nec Thanks for the business.

David APi