Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY05 Sti - humming from diffs ??

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 01:28 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 Sti - humming from diffs ??

Just read another thread about an issue with humming from the diffs on newage sti's
I noticed a humming noise especially decelerating on smooth tarmac - dealer said it was tyre noise due to stiff sidewalls on Potenza's

Thread said there was an internal memo from IM about the problem

Any info would be appreciated
Old 02 December 2005, 02:36 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

my STi 05 also has a faint hum. I'm willing to bet money it's the sound of some part of the transmition. most likely the front diff, which is new w.r.t. the older ones. More stress-loading on the transmission calls for straighter-cut gears, which in turn tend to be singifficantly louder. In fact, if you take a ride in race-spec vehicles its quite likely that at high speeds the hum of the diffs will be the loudest noise in the cabin, even more so than the exhaust or induction!
The stock potenzas are also quite noisy. if you notice the hum decreases with varying tarmac you might find it's mostly down to tyres. If the noise is rougly the same irrespective of road surface, you're likely correct about the diffs. One thing is for certain, it's absolutely nothing to be allarmed about. I't s a sure-fire sign of pedigree and sturdyness, testament to motorsport background. I'm quite proud of it myself!
Old 11 December 2005, 05:00 AM
krees23
Scooby Newbie

I've got a 2005 STi and I get a fair amount of tranny whine. From what I've heard it's pretty normal.
Old 13 December 2005, 09:58 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a number of 2002 onward cars for sale and we've had a few through our hands over the years. They all seem to have a hum from the rear diff, some louder than others. With or without the Bridgestones on.

No need to worry unduly in my opinion. That and the smelly clutches they 'suffer' with as well. Incidentally I'm driving an EVo 8 [ Yeah, yeah - I know ]
at the moment and that has a smelly clutch too.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza [ APi Evo ]
www.apiengines,com
Old 17 December 2005, 06:56 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

my sti 05 jdm has that transmission whine aswell goes away when start acelarating
Old 22 December 2005, 10:10 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

I also get 'tranny whine' on MY03 2.0 WRX under engine breaking. Most noticable when hot (after a long motorway run).
-Steve.