Water Pump Removal & replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 01:36 PM
GONZO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Pump Removal & replacement

Hello,
Any advice on above much appreciated. Think water pump is leaking - now getting worse - started after cam belt replacement me thinks, originally intermittant and very slight. Have got off rad, cam belt covers etc as post in General Tech. Any tips much appreciated - I have read on an old post that there are 6 off 12mm bolts to undo, once one of the cam pulleys has come off. Anyone done this before ?

Cheers in advance,
Mart.
Old 02 November 2005, 03:50 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure it's not the little elbow hose from the water pump across the front of the engine to the modine [ oil cooler thingy ] Water pumps do leak but it's more of a coincidence to happen after a belt change. I would suspect clumsy fingers knocking the hose and pipe around causing a leak.

However if it is the pump then the belt needs to come off and the simple thing is to set all the timing marks BEFORE you remove it. The passenger side cams will flick slightly as they are at the point of lift on the valves that is no worry, you can just pull them back into line when you put the belt back on. A couple of strong pegs will act as a third pair of hands to keep the belt on one pulley, whilst you operate on the other.

Once the belt is out the way then just undo the water pump bolts and lift off.

New gasket, small, sensible amount of sealer and then all back together again.

Once the belt is back on rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure that the belt is on correctly. ANY resistance to turning and LOOK AGAIN carefully before forcing. If all seems good, we'd quickly start the car with the outer belt covers off and the rad still out to make sure that all is OK before boxing up.
Then off you go.

Good Luck Ask advice before cocking it up if unsure.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 03 November 2005, 01:20 PM
GONZO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thanks

Originally Posted by APIDavid
You sure it's not the little elbow hose from the water pump across the front of the engine to the modine [ oil cooler thingy ] Water pumps do leak but it's more of a coincidence to happen after a belt change. I would suspect clumsy fingers knocking the hose and pipe around causing a leak.

However if it is the pump then the belt needs to come off and the simple thing is to set all the timing marks BEFORE you remove it. The passenger side cams will flick slightly as they are at the point of lift on the valves that is no worry, you can just pull them back into line when you put the belt back on. A couple of strong pegs will act as a third pair of hands to keep the belt on one pulley, whilst you operate on the other.

Once the belt is out the way then just undo the water pump bolts and lift off.

New gasket, small, sensible amount of sealer and then all back together again.

Once the belt is back on rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure that the belt is on correctly. ANY resistance to turning and LOOK AGAIN carefully before forcing. If all seems good, we'd quickly start the car with the outer belt covers off and the rad still out to make sure that all is OK before boxing up.
Then off you go.

Good Luck Ask advice before cocking it up if unsure.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Cheers Dave,
I did the cambelt last time, so know all about the relevant bits and pieces - it's a bit daunting at first, but once you do it - pretty straightforward. I found the most difficult part was having the patience to compress the self adjusting tensioner - apparently if you do it too quickly you bu**er it up. I'm at work at the mo, and haven't had another good look at the car, so excuse the next question - is there a cam belt pulley that needs to come off first, or will the water pump come straight off. Also, I had already checked the front pipe that you mentioned and it seemed ok, however, I suspect that the pipes coming out of the rear may need looking at, but until the pump comes out, it's a bit difficult to inspect them, and with the pump out I might as well change it, as the car has 120k on it now ! If I get stuck, hopefully I can take up your kind offer of any more advice.

Cheers again,
Martin.