Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction kits - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 01:53 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction kits - yes or no?

What are people's opinions on the benefits/drawbacks of fitting an induction kit?

I have an early MY97 UK Turbo 2000, with 3" decat, 5" Cobra backbox, and an A'pexi PFC.

I know of the need to ensure a decent cold air supply - no point in drawing in hot air directly from the engine bay - and I've heard of the stories of induction kits screwing up the MAF sensor as well.

Worthwhile or a waste of money?
Old 06 October 2005, 07:03 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Its usually only the 99-00 that have the weak MAF's.

As for a good or bad idea, everyone will have a different ideas,some say there good some not. Its probably not worth it unless your running pretty high bhp. But if you do get one, it will need to be, cold air feeded,and sheilded for it to work properly and efficiently.
Old 07 October 2005, 02:58 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Depending on what power your heading for ?? standard air box and panel filter will see up over 300bhp and if you decide to go ind/kit then you can have your pfc tweaked to suit the extra air....also think of keeping the hot air from the ind/kit filter ?
Originally Posted by white knight
What are people's opinions on the benefits/drawbacks of fitting an induction kit?

I have an early MY97 UK Turbo 2000, with 3" decat, 5" Cobra backbox, and an A'pexi PFC.

I know of the need to ensure a decent cold air supply - no point in drawing in hot air directly from the engine bay - and I've heard of the stories of induction kits screwing up the MAF sensor as well.

Worthwhile or a waste of money?
Old 07 October 2005, 03:19 PM
white knight
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd obviously make sure this is well ducted so it gets a nice cold air feed (kinda defeats the object otherwise). As I'm still running the standard injectors, pump and turbo, with no plans (well, at least at the moment!) to take these things any further, I know this might be a waste at the moment......but as a first step along the way to further upgrades in the future, it might be a good move - at least it'll be there if and when I ever *need* the higher air flow.
Old 07 October 2005, 03:48 PM
vanman
Scooby Regular

I've been using an Apexi power intake for a while in a heat shielded compartment,seems to be working fine so far,very noisy compared to the standard airbox.The reason I fitted it was because i'm fitting a fmic and had to lose the airbox to make room for pipework.